Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

Yes it is - Dividends - Lloyds Banking Group plc.

Apologies if Iā€™ve missed this somewhere in my reading but is there going to be a minimum amount you can transfer to your Freetrade account from your bank in a single transaction?

1 Like

Good question, itā€™s Ā£1 according to the help docs. Hereā€™s a link to the page https://intercom.help/freetrade/getting-started/how-can-i-top-up-and-withdraw-funds-from-my-freetrade-account

ā€”

Strangely I canā€™t paste in the Discourse app. Had to login on a browser :upside_down_face: ( edit - phone reset fixed it )

2 Likes

Are withdrawals Ā£1 as well? Canā€™t see any reason that Iā€™d have Ā£1 in my account and want to withdraw it but itā€™s good to know these things :grin:

2 Likes

Not sure tbh, guess Ā£1. I think the minimum amount you can invest is also a Ā£1. I know it gets tricky if you invested xyz and were left with 99p :joy:

1 Like

Those penny stocks make you money yo!

7 Likes

I guess this is more of a question about Freetrade than stock trading but when I sell shares will I be selling to users on Freetrade or am I selling to the entire market?

4 Likes

Youā€™ll be selling to the entire market, Freetrade is a proper stockbroker

9 Likes

Iā€™m still a beginner in this, but hopefully one day iā€™ll be able to justify the alpha option with my gains.
for now the basic will be pretty good it seems. a few questions though;

1. what is made by basic trades and what kind of timeline do they occur over?
  2. will the stocks and shares isa be able to take into account other holdings (e.g vanguard) or will I have to self impose limits?
  3. what is the interbank rate mentioned at the bottom?
    4.what is meant by custody?

thanks in advance

1 Like

Alex that was more of a question for you guys

Could you please clarify what you meant by ā€œwhat is made byā€? Is it something along the lines of ā€œwhat is the benefit to Freetrade?ā€

Basic trades are aggregated into large transactions and executed at the end of the day, at 16:00. You could cancel them up to 15:45. Proof.

If you have an S&S ISA with Vanguard, most likely you will not be able to contribute towards Freetradeā€™s ISA when it is launched (unless the regulations change). Your options would either be to liquidate your Vanguard ISA and stick to Freetradeā€™s or remain with Vanguard and use Freetradeā€™s general investment account.

The interbank market is the top-level foreign exchange market where banks exchange different currencies. The banks can either deal with one another directly or through electronic brokering platforms. It is mainly used for trading among bankers hence the exchange rate is pretty much the best you can get in the world. I might be wrong (@Rob would be the best person to clarify), but even Freetrade does not get that rate hence the 0.5% on the top is the cover for the charges Freetrade pays to their banking provider.

Just a snazzy word for ā€œstorageā€ :smile:

5 Likes

cheers, i meant to write ā€œmeantā€ instead of made.
do you know much about the tax rules on the standard account then, do i have to pay tax on earnings and dividends?

Also, as all the trades (basic) are made at 4, how late can i wait to make the order? as in i donā€™t expect i can make an order at15:44 but it would be nice to know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What happens if you lose or break your phone? Is there any way of investing until you get a replacement?

3 Likes

Thereā€™s not really a quick answer to that Iā€™m afraid but we have answered it (in an easy to understand way :muscle:) in this blog post -

At the moment, youā€™re able to queue basic orders right up until we place them for you. If you donā€™t manage to queue the order in time, itā€™ll simply be queued for the next day instead.

1 Like

Not at the moment. But we donā€™t have any weird device - app linking security settings so as long as you can sign into your email account on another iPhone, youā€™ll be able to access your Freetrade account.

2 Likes

What about iPad/tablets? Will the app work on them? (I can imagine that trading might lend itself nicely to bigger screen estate).

1 Like

It works on iPads now but we donā€™t have a dedicated app for them, itā€™s just a blown up version of the mobile app.

1 Like

Great thread. I have been around for over 10 years doing investments and trading, and still I feel like a complete newbie at times.

Where are the kids hanging out today? where do you conduct your trading?

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Dividend - Stock own date

Sorry to resurrect an old topic :see_no_evil: Is there a place to find out what all the acronyms are? Like a quick guide? There seems to be a few and my poor brain canā€™t keep up with them :joy:

4 Likes