Ask your beginners questions here 🐣

(Alex Sherwood) #59

It works on iPads now but we don’t have a dedicated app for them, it’s just a blown up version of the mobile app.

(JP) #60

Great thread. I have been around for over 10 years doing investments and trading, and still I feel like a complete newbie at times.

Where are the kids hanging out today? where do you conduct your trading?

Question about Dividend paying stocks. Do I need to own the stock prior to declaration or can I just buy a few days before the payout happens? I intend on purchasing exclusively dividend paying stocks and would just like to be clear in terms of how long prior to a payout I need to own the share. The last thing I want to do is buy in to a stock, miss out on the dividend, and having to wait a lengthy period of time before it comes around again.

(Emma) #62

You need to buy it before its ex dividend date or you won’t get any until the next payout

(Alex Sherwood) #63

Great question! We’ve also written a bit about this on our blog -

However, the dividend doesn’t just go to whomever holds the stock on payment day. Instead when companies set the payment day for dividends, they assign a record date to check their shareholders in line for the money.

Companies also set an ex-dividend date before the record date. The ex-dividend date is usually a few business days before record date.

An ex-dividend date is the day on which the stock no longer trades with the right to the upcoming dividend. If someone sells a stock on or after ex-dividend day, that seller still gets the next dividend, not the buyer.

There’s a good website for checking this https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ which lets you sort UK stocks (although not ETFs unfortunately) based on their ex-dividend date & the dividend value etc.

I hope that helps :smile:

(Ben #88) #64

Sorry to resurrect an old topic :see_no_evil: Is there a place to find out what all the acronyms are? Like a quick guide? There seems to be a few and my poor brain can’t keep up with them :joy:

You’ll probably find most of them here, if not just google it
https://www.fool.co.uk/investing-basics/investment-glossary/

(Emma) #66

Really like that site when you ignore their more infomercial or buzzfeed type articles :+1:

(Ben) #67

Hi All,

New(ish) to investing, I’ve been paper trading for a while but still not quite live. I was following many of the common the US ETFs in my watchlist and doing a nice enough job of papaer trading them but when I started to make the move to go live I came across the restrictions on retail traders based in the Europe in regards to US ETFs :roll_eyes:

Does anyone have any recommendations, or perhaps they could point me in the direction of a useful resource on the popular European ETFs? Also anything they rate within the world of S & P500 trackers so I can better inform myself. I’ve done some homework already but I’m still a little dicombobulated.

Thanks!

(Jeff Beranek) #68

I like to use www.justetf.com to find the cheapest ETFs available to me as an investor in the UK. For the US market I like the Vanguard S&P 500, or the iShares Core S&P 500 or the new Invesco S&P 500. I’m not sure about the new Lyxor Core Morningstar US Equity ETF. It’s the cheapest and tracks slightly more shares, but I’m not sure on what the US withholding tax situation is for ETFs not domiciled in Ireland.

(Jeff Beranek) #69

This isn’t exactly a beginner question, but I can’t begin to invest with Freetrade until I find the answer. What is Freetrade’s definition of a “US Person” with regard to their terms and conditions? As a permanent UK resident (and citizen) I qualify as not a US Person according to Regulation S of the Securities Act of 1933 in Section 902(k)(1). However, as a US citizen I do qualify as a US Person according to Internal Revenue Code Section 7701(a)(30) and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The more enlightened share brokers in the UK allow permanent UK residents that are US citizens to open and operate accounts, but the majority apply a blanket ban on all US citizens, even if they fully comply with all HMRC, IRS and US Department of the Treasury reporting requirements. I dearly hope that Freetrade are one of the enlightened few, thanks!

(Chris) #70

That’s a hell of a question for a Friday night Jeff!
Hope you get an answer.

(Emma) #71

What’s the difference between an Exchange Traded Fund and an Exchange Traded Company, and why does the latter not need a Key Information Document in app? This is in relation to Physical Gold in the app, just to add some context

Regretting my decision not to use acronyms :confounded:

(Vladislav Kozub) #72

ETF contains many companies in its portfolio, whereas ETC is just a commodity traded on an exchange as @Elettric kindly corrected.

(Emma) #73

It’s an iShares thing :woman_shrugging:

(Vladislav Kozub) #74

My reading skills deteriorate after 11 pm on Friday…

How do you even notice these tiny things? :sweat_smile:

(Emma) #75

Pure skill :sunglasses:

:joy:

(Matteo) #76

I thought they were called Exchange Traded Commodity. I will look more into it. :thinking:

(Emma) #77

Would explain why there’s no KID, as it’s the commodity exchange it’s tracking rather than a few gold selling companies
(If that’s what it’s doing)

Here’s a link to the KID - iShares Physical Gold ETC - United Kingdom