Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

Youā€™ll probably find most of them here, if not just google it

7 Likes

Really like that site when you ignore their more infomercial or buzzfeed type articles :+1:

2 Likes

Hi All,

New(ish) to investing, Iā€™ve been paper trading for a while but still not quite live. I was following many of the common the US ETFs in my watchlist and doing a nice enough job of papaer trading them but when I started to make the move to go live I came across the restrictions on retail traders based in the Europe in regards to US ETFs :roll_eyes:

Does anyone have any recommendations, or perhaps they could point me in the direction of a useful resource on the popular European ETFs? Also anything they rate within the world of S & P500 trackers so I can better inform myself. Iā€™ve done some homework already but Iā€™m still a little dicombobulated.

Thanks!

6 Likes

I like to use www.justetf.com to find the cheapest ETFs available to me as an investor in the UK. For the US market I like the Vanguard S&P 500, or the iShares Core S&P 500 or the new Invesco S&P 500. Iā€™m not sure about the new Lyxor Core Morningstar US Equity ETF. Itā€™s the cheapest and tracks slightly more shares, but Iā€™m not sure on what the US withholding tax situation is for ETFs not domiciled in Ireland.

2 Likes

This isnā€™t exactly a beginner question, but I canā€™t begin to invest with Freetrade until I find the answer. What is Freetradeā€™s definition of a ā€œUS Personā€ with regard to their terms and conditions? As a permanent UK resident (and citizen) I qualify as not a US Person according to Regulation S of the Securities Act of 1933 in Section 902(k)(1). However, as a US citizen I do qualify as a US Person according to Internal Revenue Code Section 7701(a)(30) and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The more enlightened share brokers in the UK allow permanent UK residents that are US citizens to open and operate accounts, but the majority apply a blanket ban on all US citizens, even if they fully comply with all HMRC, IRS and US Department of the Treasury reporting requirements. I dearly hope that Freetrade are one of the enlightened few, thanks!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a hell of a question for a Friday night Jeff!
Hope you get an answer.

7 Likes

Whatā€™s the difference between an Exchange Traded Fund and an Exchange Traded Company, and why does the latter not need a Key Information Document in app? This is in relation to Physical Gold in the app, just to add some context

Regretting my decision not to use acronyms :confounded:

2 Likes

ETF contains many companies in its portfolio, whereas ETC is just a commodity traded on an exchange as @Elettric kindly corrected.

2 Likes

Itā€™s an iShares thing :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My reading skills deteriorate after 11 pm on Fridayā€¦

How do you even notice these tiny things? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Pure skill :sunglasses:

:joy:

3 Likes

I thought they were called Exchange Traded Commodity. I will look more into it. :thinking:

5 Likes

Would explain why thereā€™s no KID, as itā€™s the commodity exchange itā€™s tracking rather than a few gold selling companies
(If thatā€™s what itā€™s doing)

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link to the KID - iShares Physical Gold ETC - United Kingdom

2 Likes

Every time I think Iā€™ve understood something but then more information is postedā€¦

Thanks for the KID link, that helps :grin:

4 Likes

The way I understand it, a Key Information Document ( KID ) is required for any packaged investment, so where you are not holding the investment directly.

With ETCā€™s you are not buying the commodity itself so a KID is needed. Same with ETFā€™s you are not buying the stocks directly so a KIDā€™s required.

2 Likes

Yes & yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ā£2 there and back, sold. How about the alpha account, what kinda pricing does it have?

https://freetrade.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Pricing.pdf

5 Likes

thanks Emma, do you know if that 0.5% gov
charge is paid on US stocks?