Ask your beginners questions here 🐣

Thank you, fixed :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well, with Freetrade even with a £40k GIA you won’t be paying anything on fees or taxes if you use your allowance so I don’t see the point of ISAs for small portfolios.

True. But you never know when tax rules will change so always good practice to put money away in an ISA wrapper while you can.

2 Likes

yeah I would much rather add money to an isa and understand the funds, the dividends, associated costs than sit in a bank account. Theres quite a few rated low cost funds out there and if the dividends get re invested with no fee’s then I want to watch it grow that way. However small - I’m at least 2 years from hitting 20K on a conservative saving plan.

(and I’m investing in REITS in my ISA rather than Freetrade so don’t get caught with the PID tax - I didn’t even know what PID was a week ago)

I agree, but you still don’t get any tax benefit for having a small amount (under 20k at least imo) even if rules change. You can transfer £20,000 a year and tax laws don’t change overnight.

Good point. I think the ISA issue is more pronounced in terms of cash ISAs where people are getting far lower rates than just putting it into a standard saving account. Most people aren’t going to go above the £1000 a year interest allowance.

1 Like

£2k is the current tax-free allowance for dividends received outwith an ISA. As it’s already been reduced from £5k it could be reduced again ( or even removed ).

2 Likes

Yeah, to go over the allowance you need a £50k portfolio at 4% yield, even if the div allowance gets halved you still need more than the ISA allowance. The dividend allowance was reduced from 2018 but was announced in March 2017 so people had enough time to move up to £40k into an ISA before it came into effect. My point is that there is no extra benefit having an ISA under 20-30k IMHO obviously £36 a year is not going to make a big difference anyway.

If you don’t withdraw the dividends, with £20K at 4% you’ll have £20800 in the ISA after a year, which is more than you are allowed to put in in a year. if you then put another 20K in you’d have £42400 after two years. This will quickly build up. So if you are able to put in close to the full amount it’s worth getting it in as soon as you can

This doesn’t even take into account reinvesting dividends

This assumes your only dividend is coming from Freetrade of course and your allowance isn’t being used up elsewhere.

1 Like

Not really, it affects any account. Dividends from your ISA shares don’t affect your allowance on FT or anywhere else.

Edit: I’ve only had an ISA for 2 out of 10 years investing so I’ve only saved £288 by not using an ISA straight away (assuming something like FT was available back then) so it is not like you get that much benefit. You can use an ISA whenever you want for peace of mind.

All the shares i buy all seem to go down as soon as i buy them i have multiple different shares in 13 companies (2 being etfs)and 10 of them are all negative.
has happened with all shares i’ve bought in the past as well
Am i doing something wrong, is it just a gamble or down to bad look? :sweat:

Hi Lewis
Time is your friend. If you believe in what you are buying, stick with it, be patient and let the dividends come in or growth happen. No one can time the market or predict the future however I feel time in the market as often quoted will reward you. This is not advice, just an opinion.
Personally I like broad stock market ETF’s. You still get dividends and well diversified. See my portfolio.

1 Like

If you invest in stocks you need to take a totally different time-horizon. Days or weeks are irrelevant. You should evaluate after year(s). In the long term, companie and economies grow, in the short term, other factors drive markets.

Thank you! think Im going to try stick with ETFs, Decided to stick a bit into Metro Bank the day before the price completely fell

I am planning to make investment. I just read this free credit cards guide. It is the best and trustable guide for money management.

3 Likes

Freetrade! :freetrade:

4 Likes

Welcome! You’re in the right place, Freetrade is a trustworthy & accessible platform.

Recommend you have a read through some of these :freetrade: beginner blogs, if you haven’t already, to quickly get up to speed on key concepts before you make your 1st investment.

Chris made a million before turning 40. He’s also a blogger and has been following a disciplined research driven approach. CNBC has features his articles many times. Honest look at Wall St/The City, it’s about the mindset: https://chrisreining.com/category/invest-to-build-wealth/

Also, a life coach billionaire wrote this book for the masses after 2008 because Wall St doesn’t care much about the small or big investors - understand the game and psychology. He’s also interviewed people who rarely give interviews. Knowledge is power and execution is everything. It’s a fun read: best investment - only £7.19 .

1 Like