Ask your beginners questions here 🐣

Is options trading banned by the FCA.

Not that I want to do it, just curious

Nope.

Offering binary options trading is banned if you refer to that.

Hello all, I’m new to the world of trading and this forum so have been reading loads before I dip my toes. My plan is to start off with some ETFs and some bigger companies (Amazon, Apple etc) add monthly with the intention of a ten year minimum timescale and just see where things go. Does this sound like a reasonable strategy?

3 Likes

Hi Steve.

Sounds like a plan. The only pointer I’d give is to make sure you have enough cash for unexpected emergencies etc.

And if you’re looking at a 10 year minimum timescale (absolutely the right thing to do), then you’re investing, not trading (in my opinion).

Cheers and best of luck

4 Likes

This has probably been asked elsewhere but I can’t find it. Does anyone know the tax situation with a German stock on the dividend payments, if it’s going into an ISA? Something is ringing a bell that something is taken off at source regardless of the fact it’s going into an ISA. Hoping someone can keep me right with this. Thanks

Not a direct answer to your question I’m afraid and my information is also at least 20 years old but when I lived in Germany I know that they didn’t recognise the tax free status of ISAs, even though said ISAs were in the UK and had nothing to do with Germany. Therefore my hunch is that you will find your German stocks will be subject to tax irrespective of whether they are in your ISA or a GIA.

1 Like

This is from a German stock I hold in my ISA - pretty hefty tax charge!

2 Likes

@1anrs @samtuckett thank you, I knew it was something quite hefty. Think I’ll stick with my UK and US investments for the dividends.

2 Likes

Hi all, couple of questions, any suggestions on how to avoid too much ETF cross over and are there any crypto specific ETFs for non plus members? I’m still deep in the learning phase so any responses greatly appreciated :smiley:

1 Like

26.375% on German dividends :facepunch:

1 Like

There aren’t any specific crypto ETF’s as they aren’t currently allowed to be sold to retail investors here in the UK. The nearest thing possibly could be one which the underlaying assets would be based around companies in that sector (eg. miners, etc), this may not be what you want though.

Regarding minimising cross over, it’s worth having a read though of this topic:

A good bit of useful information and ideas - as always though, do your own research.

2 Likes

@JimmyJ is right, this thread in brilliant. It might seem a bit technical at times but if you take your time and google phases you’re not 100% on you’ll have a much better handle on your investments afterwards. Throw up some questions when you have them we might all learn something!

1 Like

Hi, so still reading, learning and watching videos and I’m looking at starting with a range of ETFs that reinvest as I’m not bothered for a dividend. I’ve got these so far and I’m intending an equal split of initial investment and each will get a monthly lump for approx 10 years (taking me to age 62) S&P 500 (VUAG), FTSE 250 (VMIG), FTSE EM (VFEG) & MSCI Europe (SMEA). This is still a draft plan so I’d welcome any thoughts. Just to add this will all be funded by disposable funds I’d like to work harder, I’ve already got a very good company pension. Cheers Steve

Just my thoughts but I started out not caring about dividends either. Having invested throughout some pretty bad world situations over the last 6 months, the shares which have paid dividends have kept me going. Just something to consider, as if things take a dip again you might end up really wishing you had some dividend income.

3 Likes

Have you though about adding any exposure to Asia, South American, China or India?

1 Like

I have but still unsure which geographical zones to cover which needs more research, I did consider just going for a smaller investment into an accumulating all world ETF but want to avoid too much cross over. I’m enjoying the research though but you can get yourself into some real rabbit holes if you’re not careful!

1 Like

Oh the rabbit holes are real. You could always go with a global etc like VWRL and then pick areas you’d like to overweight your portfolio with regional ETF’s. Just keep an eye on the on going costs.

2 Likes

VFEG/VFEM have fairly good exposure to China (33.3%)/India (16.6%), has some exposure to Brazil (6.6%) as well - Vanguard Asset Management | Personal Investing in the UK

Asia, as a wee pointer which is probably one of many ways to do this, my personal choice was VAPX along with a Japan specific ETF (SJPA), should cover the main Asia equities without overlapping China/India etc
Though you do get some overlap with Hong Kong in VFEG as well - Vanguard Asset Management | Personal Investing in the UK

2 Likes

S&P 500 being the glaring stand out miss for me.

1 Like

Does anyone know how the P/E ratio is calculated on FT?i always get confused by it :rofl: