Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

Not sure i understand your thinking @1anrs.
Lowering or raising your average is pretty well irrelevant. Its just numbers on a page. If its cheap its a buy. Just because it is higher than your first purchase is definitely not a reason not to buy more. I recently bought more at 242. I also have legal and general at 166.06p. 242p was still a bargain.
If you are hoping to buy more below your average you might be living in hope.

4 Likes

True, it does depend on the stock of course with regards to the selling. LGen, Admiral, Persimmon and the like with their high dividends I would probably hold onto unless the potential profit was really high, Pets at Home, Premier Foods and other lower or less frequent dividend payers on the other hand Iā€™ve just made a really nice profit by selling proportions of those holdings.

1 Like

They say there are no stupid questions butā€¦

One of the advantages of an Index fund or ETF is that it rebalances the allocations (Individual stocks based on market cap and geographic region weighting if itā€™s something like VWRL). Is this typically done every quarter or more frequently?

Also if I buy VWRL today and say Apple is the largest holding, but in 20 years they do an Enron and disappear, will that ETF stock and its allocation be ā€˜frozen in timeā€™ or will they always be whatever the newest allocation is?

You can think of the global all caps ETFs as essentially being constantly up-to-date and investable versions of the index. There are thousands of algorithmic trades every second which even out any differences in prices. If Apple is 3% of global indexes, itā€™s roughly 3% of VWRL, all the time.

2 Likes

Constantly up-to-date so need to concern myself with the Wall Street fashion show. Thatā€™s pretty much what I thought thanks!

Hi,
I like to have some crypto exposure and while there are tons of mining stocks on NYSE and others like COIN, I would like exposure to crypto stocks currently on TSX. any plans to add?

Question - Iā€™ve been sticking to UK stocks until now, and just ventured into a couple of US ones. With the UK ones I put in an amount and it buys whole stocks and gives me back ā€œchangeā€. With the US ones I put in an amount, and even if I work it so it should be whole stocks, it often isnā€™t. While I get that this is due to fractional shares being available, is there a way to lock the calculation on the app to whole shares only?

When you buy it will give you the option if you want whole or fractional shares!
Iā€™ve never actually executed whole shares though! So I donā€™t know if it then rounds off fractional due to exchange rate

1 Like

Where do you find that? Afaik you can only specifically buy full shares with limit orders.

3 Likes

Sorry it is the limit order I was talking about I thought when you bought gives you That option well it does but in limit orders
Which for That you have to be a plus member if Iā€™m right?

Plus or Standard - one with a subscription, not on the basic. ~
I was looking for a way to do that for Instant orders.

If you place a limit order and insert a price around the current share price, there is a note which will state ā€œYour limit price is close to the latest price and may execute immediatelyā€. Which is what you want to achieve?

1 Like

Yeah, that might work. Itā€™s a bit clunky though.

Plus membership

Hi. What time of day should I be reasonably expecting the app to start showing todayā€™s data?

Itā€™s now 8.25 a.m., and the app isnā€™t yet showing data under the 1D(ay) tab. (ā€œNo data available for periodā€).

Cheers

Price is 15 minutes delayed. So it is reasonable for you to expect the first data point to be displayed 15 minutes after market opening. If this doesnā€™t happen then please ping hello@freetrade.io as the issue should be ticketed as a bug.

Thanks @bitflip

I thought prices were live now? The app was a bit slow for me this morning too Live Pricing - how we built it

Not all have live pricing, think itā€™s only the ftse350 and us stocks. Those on AIM and ETFs I believe are still every 15minutes.

1 Like

Mine was slow to wake up this morning too, maybe just needs more coffee?

1 Like