Ask your beginners questions here 🐣

Ooops.

Not all prices are delayed. So my answer needs to be modified to not confuse people. Scroll down on the app and you can see whether a share price is delayed or not:

Delayed:

Not Delayed:

Hey guys, do you know at what time dividends will be paid today? Cheers.

Might not even be today, Sometime US stocks can take a couple of days

1 Like

Thanks Dave! It will be my first dividend ever :slight_smile: The fact that I owned the stock before ex-dividend date and sold it on ex-div date means that I am entitled to receive it right?

2 Likes

Yeah you should still get it if you sold on Ex Div date

welcome :wave:

These sorts of questions get asked so often that the Freetrade team has put together relevant information in the Learning Hub:

Right to receive dividend:

I strongly recommend that you peruse the Freetrade Invest Hub. You will find lots of helpful bits of information in there. And good luck in your investment journey!

3 Likes

Hey everyone :wave:

The Honey team can host a free intro to investing session for beginners at your office in London (or via Zoom if you’re further afield)!

If you’re interested, email the team at honey@freetrade.io :honeybee:

We’ll even bring along some sweet, sweet Honey swag for you and your colleagues :honey_pot:

1 Like

Who is the dividend for again?

I am holding a Stock & Share ISA account and investing on ETFs.
I have a question, am I allowed to buy and sell the same ETF within a day?
For example, I buy 100 number of shares of a partcilar ETF in the morning and sell 100 number of shares of the same ETF in the afternoon.

Is this allowed? Would there be any tax implications for such transactions from the ISA account? Thank you

1 Like

Yes you can do that, in an ISA there aren’t any tax implications even if you made a big profit

2 Likes

Ford

1 Like

Find most American stocks aren’t on time as much if should be paid today probably get Monday now :thinking::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you.

Can anyone throw some light on NB Global and what is actually happening please

1 Like

But aren’t all investments the same. Could go up or you could lose it all. So if im just a newb i can’t buy anymore?

1 Like

Not all investments are the same in terms of complexity. Take Finsbury Growth & Income Trust as an example. It’s aimed at retail investors and holds stocks like Diageo, Mondelez and Sage. These are easy to understand businesses, which sell alcohol, snacks and accounting software respectively.

On the other hand, NBMI is specifically intended for professional, advised or institutional investors. It invests in things like stressed credit, collateralised loan obligation debt tranches and private corporate loans which are more difficult for the average investor to understand.

A suitability questionnaire must be put in place before anyone can be allowed to buy more. This needs to happen to protect FT as well as its customers. If an investor loses money on a complex product that they should never have been offered, FT could be liable if it didn’t carry out appropriate checks.

5 Likes

Hey guy’s and girls
I’ve got a couple of quid to invest today and was looking at… Tescos. Vodafone and royal mail has anyone got any negative comments about these 3 as my last investment (boohoo) is a little bit crap qll help and comments appreciated :+1:

Do you have anything positive to say about them?
Besides their horrendous performance over the last years (or in general), they’re legacy companies whose business models have been eroding or eroded. Not sure why’d you want to invest in that?
Just buy an ETF.

1 Like

I would recommend that you do some research about the three companies you mention and then if you are not sure go to the correct Topic e.g. Royal Mail (RMG) 📮 💌 - Share Chat to ask some specific questions. I would also be careful about what you read on these forums especially by people who have bought in to a stock. This is the internet after all - you have no idea who these people are and what their level of competence is.

Learn more about investing through Learn about investing with Freetrade’s guides and by going to some of the sources in The ultimate list of investing books, podcasts and blogs v2 💡.

Oh and @SebReitz’s suggestion to buy a general index ETF is good advice. But first read more about that too - as there is much to be aware of. The links before will also help you understand ETFs. For additional information see for example Passive Investors - ETF Portfolio Discussion.

4 Likes