Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

This week Alphabet, Meta, VISA, Spotify, Netflix - lots of them have lost as much as 5% (profit) based on exchange rates and the strong dollar. I cant understand why 12m 6m ago their guys werent hedging to take account of this? Or why they dont hold the cash in Euros / Sterling etc until such a time its more beneficial to convert to Dollarsā€¦

Hi as stated they are not going to leave money sitting round creating money drag. Its quite possible that banks will actually charge them for having money in an account.
As stated they live with the reality exchange rates varying.
Most companies do.
As an aside and without checking, to the best of my knowledge hedging works both ways. If you get it wrong ie the dollar goes down you pay out.
The other way is to buy dollars in advance, obviously there is a cost, plus you have to be sure what your profits are going to be. Otherwise you could end up buying dollars you dont need

Hi @Niallw - welcome to the forum.

The basic free account has only a limited number of stocks available.

More stocks are available with the Standard account.

There are stocks which currently arenā€™t on the platform, but new ones are being added all the time.

1 Like

I have a Freetrade GIA. If I add an ISA how will it work, ie is there a facilty to flip between the 2 accounts on the app?

Yes, click ISA or GIA both are separate accounts in the app.

I assume you mean change the view from isa to gia and back? Which as Barbellion is very simple.
If you are talking about moving shares from gia to isa, you have sell them and buy them back in an isa.

Is there a charge for transferring in or out of Freetrade?
Fees for no activity Freetrade .

There are no fees for transfers with freetrade . There is also no in-activity fee.

Hi, Just wanted to check few information about ISA

1. Can I buy US stocks such as tech stock like Meta, Alphabet etc from my Freetrade ISA account?
  2. Are there any settlement period? or can we do buy & sell on the same day?
  3. How the conversion (GBP to USD) takes place?
    Are there any other points should be considered while trading on US stocks from ISA account?

Please advise.
Tapas

1. Yes, you can buy US stocks, and the two stocks you listed are available. You can search whether specific stocks are supported here too Stocks to invest in - 6,000+ US, UK and European stocks to buy

2. You can buy and sell on the same day. When you sell, you can use the funds immediately for another stock buy. If you want to withdraw the money after a sale to your bank, it can take a day or two for the sale to settle and freetrade make the funds available to withdraw.

3. Freetrade handles fx automatically. The fx rate is about midmarket, plus a 0.45% commission. So expect a Ā£0.45 fee on a Ā£100 buy.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply. Much appreciated. Regards

1 Like

This might seem like a stupid question but why are shares differently priced in Freetrade? For example when checking the value of a share outside of free trade it might be 1.4 but in Freetrade itā€™s 0.014.

Welcome. Itā€™s not a stupid question. Freetrade tries to simplify things by quoting everything in GBP, so pounds and pence. Many other sources quote things in GBX, which is pence, so 100 times more. So Ā£1.00 GBP is 100 GBX.

4 Likes

Hi all,

I have read somewhere that Freetrade will add US based ETFs in the near future. Is this right?

Can we expect for example S&P 500 VOO on the app?

I may be wrong but Iā€™d be surprised if this was true as most US ETFs donā€™t comply with EU regulations.

Where did you read this?

non UCITS ETFs are not (normally) available to retail clients. See TQQQ ETF - #2 by bitflip

From the shareholder update, my understanding is that itā€™s more ETFā€™s in general including those like the below which are UCITS but are priced in dollars, not US ones. As an example you can see the below is UCITS but is priced in dollars.

2 Likes

I read it in the October company newsletter.

I report below the mentioned point ā€œAdditional dollar-denominated ETFsā€ . How do you interpret this?
Untitled

I guess this is the answer.

1 Like

Yeah, I think @JimmyJā€™s hit the nail on the head: thatā€™s likely referring to USD-denominated ETFs which are listed on the LSE.

I think you can still access US-listed ETFs in the EU with some brokers but you need to be a professional investor.

If memory serves, eToro also offers many of them but theyā€™re probably offering non-leveraged CFDs rather than the underlying asset as a workaround.

Either way, most people are probably best off sticking to the equivalent European ETFs.

1 Like