Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

My guess is that European clients can access these US based products directly through a US based broker such as Charles Schwab maybe even IBKR.

Hi, can I TRADE (not contribute) within an existing stocks and shares ISA as well as open/contribute to a new stocks and shares ISA within the same year?

1 Like

Yeah, the restriction is just on adding money to it. once the money is in you can do what you want with it

1 Like

You canā€™t have two ISA? I think

You can only contribute to one S&S ISA per tax year.

But you can trade with one from a previous tax year.

AFAIKā€¦i feel confident this is correctā€¦but double check.

It stands to reasons ā€¦if you can open a new one, that you dont have to let the old go to sh*tā€¦so you must be able to trade in it.

1 Like

This is correct.

You can subscribe to one of each type of ISA per tax year. so you can subscribe to one S&S ISA per tax year.

subscribe means essentially to deposit cash into the ISA wrapper. Once cash is in the wrapper, its in the wrapper. It doesnā€™t matter what you do with it inside the wrapper. Buy sell, hold as cash. no one cares. as long as it stays inside the ISA wrapper.

2 Likes

You can have more than one each yearā€¦every year.

Could open a new cash and a S&S ISA every yearā€¦but can only contribute to one ISA of each type each tax year.

1 Like

Thatā€™s sort of what I meant by not happening 2? Lol bit pointless as you canā€™t add to original one if open new one? To me might as well stay with one :thinking:

In most case yes staying with one is probably sensible and easier.

Some people may wish to chase bonuses or better fees or have other reasons I suppose.

Better to have a choice than none.

Hi, I have money in FT GIA that Iā€™d like to transfer to my ISA account.
Is this possible or do I have to withdraw it to my nominated account and then add it to my ISA account ?

Yes, drop support a line. They can move the money for you in a day or two. You just need to confirm the amount and some security details.

1 Like

Nice one rehpot, thanks :blush:

1 Like

This was a very helpful video :+1:

What happens if your isa was maxed previous year, for arguments sake put in Ā£20k, and during the year made a profit of Ā£1k. Total at start of year Ā£21k. Then decide to remove Ā£1k at start of new year. Does that need to be declared anywhere during new financial year?

Declared to who?

You can only put 20k into a stocks and share isa what dividends you get or profits you make the tax people arenā€™t interested in just that you only put 20k in during the tax year.

2 Likes

I guess you would need to declare to a government department if you attempt to claim Universal Credit and your savings are above Ā£16000 in your ISA or other accounts.

Anything over over Ā£6,000 would affect a Universal Credit claim, over Ā£16,000 would close it outright (same as for the old means tested benefits)

Strictly speaking you would need to declare them regardless of the amount.

1 Like

you can put Ā£20k and even if it becomes Ā£1M in a year you can do whatever you want with it, withdraw it all or reinvest it but you can only put in Ā£20k the following year.

2 Likes

Hello, sorry if already asked but new to investing. Just wanted to confirm some information about dividend ex-date. If an ex-date is say the 27th of a month and I sell my shares on the 26th will I still be entitled to the dividend or do I still need to be holding shares on the 27th?
Thanks for any help

1 Like