💻 Beta Testing for Freetrade Web

Had a good look around the website and spotted some interesting things in there :wink:

Good start, most have mentioned the features I’d like to see as well, but I’ll doubly support MFA as addition or tweak to authentication

1 Like

It worked for me on macOS Safari. When you get the email you could copy the link and open it in the same tab where you entered your email address. This may work.
I am guessing they store a cookie in local storage which is why it needs to be the same browser and machine where you enter your email address.

1 Like

It sounds like you are on a device where the Freetrade app is available, so iOS or iPadOS.
It worked for me on Safari on iPhone too.
I’m not sure why it doesn’t work for you. It does sound like an authentication bug.
Do you have any content blockers enabled? You could try disabling them.
Also are you using ‘private browsing’ mode? I am not sure this would work as it prevents cookies from being stored, just an idea.
Another thought: The email address you enter must match the one you use for Freetrade. An obvious point but again worth checking.
Possibly you need help from @clloyd

1 Like

It is a bit disappointing to leave the main group members out of this and have the web feature only available for Plus members.
The phone interface is not the best way to invest your entire ISA amount.
It is not a luxury or a good to have (legroom for first class passengers) … It is to have basic oversight and visibility of your investments
I assume this is only a test phase restriction and hope there are plans to make this available to all members

6 Likes

After all we are paying a subscription for the ISA

3 Likes

The beta testing is for Plus only but Freetrade haven’t commented on wether this will be permanent.

3 Likes

You’d hope they’ll provide the same level of features currently in the Mobile App on the Website for everyone, most other things after would be subscription based as a revenue generator.

The Plus subscribers are probably seen as a readymade Beta test group in this scenario, otherwise they’d have a load of admin work trying to cover everyones request, additionally they’d have to probably hardcode people into it, as it is it appears an easy code check for the Plus plan

3 Likes

I mean they said this yesterday so…

8 Likes

Getting Shivers just looking at that - Please tell me that not JavaScript!!!

The gain / loss field for a stock shows losses correctly as a negative percentage, but the £ amount shows as positive.

Also, colour coding this field would be useful.

5 Likes

It is in the JS, but as you say (indirectly) you’d hope it’s being checked at the API during the auth process - It could just be in there to toggle some content quickly.

Specifically JSON - What is JSON

Yeah that will be being checked during the email/magic link authentication process, i.e. whether you have Plus to be authorised, it’s storing the cookie amongst some other bits.

But yeah that particular bit screenshotted wouldn’t be anything sensitive

Loool we should go back to stone age with SOAP & XML

Unsurprising. The android app suffers very bad latency at times trying to load different accounts. Annoying when you’re trying to buy/sell.

FreeTrade should perhaps get their servers upgraded first, rather than looking at different platform development.

Suddenly everyone is a seasoned web developer :joy:

9 Likes

That’s because I am a developer, so surprisingly I have an idea of what I’m talking about.

5 Likes

I’m something of a Developer myself (However I avoid JavaScript like the plague)

Thought Freetrade were serverless?

You’re right @Dave, they use Google Cloud.

1 Like