Beyond Meat - BYND - Share Chat

1 Like

Anyone else worried that Beyond Meat is still processed food?

Now, Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are increasingly facing questions around how their products are made. The first backlash arguably hit in 2018, when the US Food and Drug Administration expressed concern over a key ingredient in the Impossible Foods burger. The company uses genetically modified yeast to produce the soy leghemoglobin, or “heme,” that gives its burger a meat-like flavor. The agency later gave the company its nod of approval.

So this must be about reducing red meat consumption (carbon footprint reduction?) and replacing it with processed plant-based patties for now until there’s definitive research saying plant-based processed meat alternatives are better for you.

As for customer Allen, he’s decided that unless new research tells him otherwise, he’ll continue to presume that Beyond’s plant-based burger is healthier. However, he doesn’t plan to purchase it again at a fast-food restaurant. That’s because he discovered that once the bun and toppings are added, A&W’s version has 1,110 milligrams of sodium.

I bought a pack from Tesco. They are priced at £5.50 (two patties). I used an air fryer. I don’t think I’ll have another one anytime soon after I saw the amount of oil that came out. :nauseated_face:

Anecdotal evidence: I went to a pub to try the beyond burgers with a friend. They were surprisingly ‘meaty’ tasting, but did not leave me with the satisfaction of having eaten a beef burger. It’s not something i’d probably go for again, my friend agreed and they are actually veegan.

I fail to see how this company has a market cap of ~$10B

Same here - I thought I would try them and there was so much oil that came out and when you looked at the ingredients…:grimacing: Nothing natural about them!

The following day, I had to get some real meat burgers as I needed to rid myself of the memory!

1 Like

I bought the same 2 burger pack from Tesco recently too (on their website there’s 2 different packaging for some reason), but as a life-long vegetarian they were…ok. I’ve even had cheaper burgers which have been nicer (I cooked them in the oven like I do most stuff like that).

But like a lot of things taste is subjective, and they’re clearly selling well for a reason. Am gutted about the KFC Beyond nuggets still being cooked in the same fryers as the meat though, otherwise I would definitely give them a go.

1 Like

Some people must have enjoyed the nice and juicy returns on $BYND:

Not me :sob: Missed out.

Didn’t realize they were stocking in the UK.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-29/racing-driver-lewis-hamilton-launches-meat-free-burger-chain

• 14 franchises to open in London, U.S. and Dubai over 2 years
  • Chain to offer Beyond Meat burgers, hot dogs and milkshakes

Beyond Meat:

• Great company
  • “Ridiculously overvalued”
    Trading at ~65x revenue vs low single digit multiples of other food companies
    Source - Code 2019 conf
2 Likes

Acquired in 2017 by Nestlé, Sweet Earth is going after Beyond Meat. Nestlé is the largest food company in the world. This does not look like a Tesla vs Volkswagen story.

Source - https://www.sweetearthfoods.com

International food giant Nestlé is getting serious about its push into the plant-based protein race.

Through its brand Sweet Earth, Nestlé will be launching the Awesome Burger and Awesome Grounds, plant-based ground meat, across retailers in the U.S. starting this week and ramp up distribution in the coming weeks.

Source - Nestle-owned Sweet Earth launches plant-based Awesome Burger

5 Likes

Nestle is ginormous.

But I bet a lot of woke people hate Nestle. So let’s see how the burger goes.

Nice graphic. It’s a kind of stock Berkshire Hathaway would own.

That share price performance:

Down 20%

Is it a buy now?

I wouldn’t buy it myself. Even with the drop, it still appears overvalued to me.

1 Like

In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run it is a weighing machine - Ben Graham

The fundamentals are still unreal:

1 Like

This is not a tech company by the way:

2 Likes

I dreamt this morning that BYND up in premarket by 100% on from $50 to $100 on news of being acquired :laughing:
I don’t have any position , weird.

2 Likes

Huge news for Beyond Meat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/0490E67D-301A-4B0F-B755-76911EA8166E

2 Likes