Bid/Offer Spread Visible when ordering

I may be missing something here, but your platform seems to only display offer. Thatā€™s fine when placing new buys, but although the offer price is reflected in the portfolio value, I canā€™t easily see the bid price.

I havenā€™t sold anything yet, I assume the bid price is shown when you sell.

I know you major on this free end-of-day filling (including sells presumably) but every broker shows bid/offer, and therefore people can see the spread. It will matter a lot if you move into smaller cap stocks, where the spreads move with liquidity.

Anyway, I predict that in time, the bulk of your business (in size terms, not trades) will be the paid instant variety.

Give it to us

Much needed

Or at least the % spread as an indicator.

Many small stocks and ETFā€™s come with a wide spreads. A 10% profit can be eaten by a 5% spread.

1 Like

Iā€™m bumping this because it is quite important and very frustrating not having the ability to see the difference between market fluctuations and spreads in-app.

I am going to use an example pointed out by @AndyO around purchase of TM1 (original comment) and a small purchase made by me today.

The price on this graph looks like .0135

So you go to make a purchase where the app agrees the latest price of .0135. Great!

Then your completed order shows the price you purchased at to be .0142 a not insignificant 5% difference.
The app chart is displaying the latest buy and sell prices within one single graph line, jumping between the two prices.

So when the app states ā€œLatest Price as ofā€¦ā€ it is being factually incorrect. In this case it is not the latest price for a purchase (bid) but for a sale (ask) and the lower price would always be incorrect unless the last update of the chart was a purchase, or there is no spreadā€¦but how do we know? We do not! Therefore any chart movement down is ambiguous and something should really be implemented to ensure that it is clear as to whether what we are seeing is the spread or a share price fluctuation.

There are plenty of shares where I would top up on a 5% dip so clarity within the app would be incredibly helpful. There is clearly demand for something here as it is a little misleading.

4 Likes

This needs adding its such a basic thing

1 Like

It could be done really simply, just by adding the appropriate prices on the buy/sell buttons. No need to mention bid/ask. Keep it simple and add an info button for those interested in what the spread is.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know of a another broker that doesnā€™t show the spread. Also when you click buy they show you the actual price not the indicative price. Then you have a certain period of time to buy.
Also there is no such thing as being in que. All market makers have to make a market. They have to make a buy and sell price.

2 Likes

That saidā€¦ the total of Ā£2.54 in the above example includes the Ā£0.01 stamp duty, so maybe it is just the graph showing the total cost of the trade? It is still confusing.

Look at the buy price on that? Youā€™d think youā€™re instantly down due to the spread.

2 Likes