Burford Capital

Just to add to my portfolio woes this week, Burford Capital has tanked. Litigation finance firm Burford Capital drops as Muddy Waters says it's shorting it - MarketWatch

Perhaps a news-driven buying opportunity in a volatile AIM stock?

1 Like

Out of interest. What drew you to invest in Burford Capital originally?

‘Bear raid’ accusation here: Latest market news | AJ Bell Youinvest

I hold BUR, would buiy more if I had the spare cash.

This guy is a very famous short-seller. Just announced a “short position on an accounting fiasco that’s potentially insolvent and possibly facing a liquidity crunch.” as well as the company has “egregiously misrepresented its ROIC and IRRs, as well as the state of its overall business.”

1 Like

I can see what they mean, but I can also see why they would say it’s a ‘bear raid’. Still, all very interesting.

It’s cool that your original reasons for investing still stand, and you are still holding, but what made you want to invest originally?

Was looking to have different shares in my Freetrade ‘fun’ portfolio (ie not in my ISA). BUR were certainly different, I liked and understood (or thought I did!) their business model, good business in the pipeline, increasing dividends paid over past few years, decent dividend cover.

Note it’s only a small holding, so the tanking is nothing to shed any tears over!

1 Like

He’s very prominent in the documentary The China Hustle I posted last weekend in the community. Highly recommend

Growth stock with big future and track record, undervalued in several metrics and actually profitable. Of course that’s nothing if they haven’t been playing fairly which will be a hard lesson for me.

3 Likes

Yeah I am invested also, it’s been a horrible day. It’s a claim at this point and it’s freaked out everyone. We will await to see what Burford’s response is.

Yes I know but they didn’t go into detail, which I think they will do, Im talking about an actual response,

They say they will look into the claims and respond appropriately.

https://otp.investis.com/Utilities/PDFDownload.aspx?Newsid=1320719

Response

1 Like

That response is doing it’s job

Phew, good job I scooped up a few yesterday! :chart_with_upwards_trend:

2 Likes

Still a buying opportunity even though it’s up 30%. IMO.

1 Like

Very strange that Muddy Waters reduced their short position days before issuing such a damaging report

Because their analysis was fundamentally flawed. It was underpinned by a criticism of a perfectly legitimate accounting method.

1 Like

What about the concerns raised around corporate governance? Burford isn’t exactly a role model in this regard

(Disclaimer - I hold a long position)

Agreed, just seems a very strange strategy.

They know they are about to release a report that could cause a share price to crash and then reduce their short position… Just doesn’t make strategic sense.

Even if they think the business is fundamentally sound, they know their report will cause a short-term sell-off and they’d profit so that wouldn’t stop them issuing a report to cause that when they hold a short position. But knowing that, why reduce your short position?

No not a role model, but in no way does minor corporate governance concerns warrant a 60% fall in the value of the stock.

1 Like