Can’t find the W-8BEN form

Hi,

This is pretty stupid but I can’t remember if completed the W8-BEN form in the app or not when I signed up. I can’t see any mention of it in the app. I have bought a few U.S stocks, would I not have been able to buy them if I had not completed the form?

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Hopefully this page helps, basically if you can’t see the option to do it then you’ve already done it! - What is a W-8BEN form? | Support

2 Likes

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your help. I definitely don’t have the option to apply for the W-8BEN in the profile section of the app, so I must have done it. It’s strange, I have zero recollection of it :joy:

I’m exactly the same tbh - must have been in the initial set up at some point, I don’t remember!!

1 Like

Hi all,

New here and sorry for the noob question.

I have just downloaded the freetrade app. I have registered and added funds to my account. I noticed there is a free share option, I have clicked on this then it says "Fill in W8-BEN to get access, however when I click on the box where it states that, nothing happens.

Is there another way to fill in the form via the app?

Thanks in advance

Try a purchase of a US stock and it maybe will prompt you to complete this :slight_smile:

The form declares you are not a US citizen and reduces the amount of tax the US government deduct from dividend payments from 30% to 15% :slight_smile:

Despite following the detailed instructions, I cannot see this listed anywhere for completion?

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Just did mine, it’s under the accounts section after you press the icon in the top right of the portfolio tab.

A screenshot of where this is or a link to it would be helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks Rob.

Mine most definitely isn’t! Glad I was looking in the right place.

2 Likes

Now resolved. Was advised to force close and reopen the app. It has now appeared.

1 Like

Why did I get this even though I’ve signed already?

URGENT: Your US shares will be sold unless you take action :rotating_light:

Seems bad policy to alarm people with a force sell if it doesn’t even apply to them.

3 Likes

I got the notification as well, even though I already signed a form a month or two ago.

I’m expecting to get another notification soon saying the message was sent in error.

I’m holding off contacting support to ask for clarification for the time being, as no doubt they will be getting lots of queries asking what is going on.

2 Likes

Just received the same and I know I have already signed it so must have been sent in error.

1 Like

I also have it - a test pushed to production maybe? :scream:

1 Like

Really bad to have such a ‘shock tactic’ formatted email go out in error - will put a LOT of people off using the platform I think

1 Like

I’ve had one too, signed mine awhile ago

It says you can’t buy US stocks until you sign it does that mean, we wont be able to buy US stocks until they fix it.

Considering the response on here, I’m assuming it’s been sent out in error and you should be fine to continue trading in US stocks.

1 Like

Same issue for me, must admit it worried me a bit and had me second guessing my own sanity. I was sure I had completed the form a few months ago and can’t find the form in my account settings.

1 Like
3 Likes

Why put it on twitter instead of emailing everyone? Really poor service here. Don’t they understand that maybe not everyone checks freetrade on twitter every few minutes.

1 Like