Coronavirus and Stock Markets - Thoughts?

If you read analysis and articles from continental newspapers, the UK is predicted to suffer much more even than Italy. Many more deaths because of governmental ineptitude and chaos.
I don’t think people here realise in the least how shit the NHS situation is. British newspapers don’t talk about it, but this country is predicted to fare the worst in all of Europe by non-British sources.

3 Likes

This is in Hull close to where I live. There are so many idiots in this country who aren’t taking the current situation seriously😫

1 Like

I don’t think it will be anywhere near as bad as Italy. I think our health officials would have a better idea then continental sources. What do they base there prediction on ? We are roughly two weeks behind Italy. At this stage Italy had just under 10 thousand reported cases we have just over 5. Today’s figures show a reduction in reported cases by nearly 400 on yesterday.

Actually. The UK has more deaths than Italy at the same time. And the UK officials are aware of it. The UK only has fewer infections because we stopped testing people. That’s just a fact, but what’s communicated here is to keep on doing what you’re doing. People here are meeting up in parks, London is full of people. It’s incredible how the public here does not take it seriously. 300 deaths on 5500 cases - as is the stats now - would be insane. The hospitals in some places here are already on the brink of collapse and the pandemic hasn’t even really started in the UK yet. Germany has 55 deaths with 20000 cases.

8 Likes

Two weeks ago Italy had just under 7500 cases with 366 deaths. We have 5500 cases with 281 deaths at approximately the same point in time!

The UK stopped testing people when they changed advice about a week ago so imo the UK rate is going to be far higher than currently reported. I know they’re ramping up testing capacity but that to me needs to be one of the biggest things they need to sort so that we have clarity of the situation.

2 Likes

And our NHS has lower ‘spare’ capacity in it than Italy’s health system did, as I understand it. Meaning we’re less equipped than they were to cope with even the same increase in people requiring medical assistance.

2 Likes

Sven talking about VOO (an S&P tracker)

Oh Sh*t! :hushed:

Tomorrow may present a very, very good buying opportunity for some top class companies!

There we have it, now for second limit down in the morning? Also they could be closing markets all together.

1 Like

Democrats voted down the Coronavirus deal:

A massive funding package to combat the impact of coronavirus did not get enough votes in a key Senate procedural vote Sunday evening.

The stalemate came hours after Democratic leaders warned that the bill was not to their liking because they said it did too much to bail out companies and not enough to help workers. Stock futures cratered as the two parties failed to agree on the terms of the package.

1 Like
1 Like

In Portugal it’s one at a time you get flagged in. That seems like madness @anon810895 . My superb photo skills on display

Would you rather be in Portugal or Ireland, given the circumstances?

I do think we have a lot farther to fall yet unfortunately as the magnitude of the problem in the US becomes clear, it spreads to other states, the US shutdown goes nationwide and the economic impact of losing jobs starts to kick in.

My main worry right now is good companies filing for bankruptcy through no fault of their own due to being shut for months, and knock on effects from other industries.

When you wish you’d never heard of the stock market it will be time to buy! Unfortunately I’ve already spent most of my cash so won’t have much to spend.

Stay safe everyone.

8 Likes

We’ll need a suckers rally for me to pile into before the big drop to the bottom :biohazard:

1 Like

Asian markets are down. ours will follow later, not a buying day

I agree with the last paragraph. Just as the Virgin Galactic and Tesla bubbles were a good anecdotal signal to get out, the best time to get in may well be when people capitulate, take the L and when people lose the ‘buy the dip’ mentality and act as if things will never recover.