Coronavirus and Stock Markets - Thoughts?

Very interesting! So much evidence to suggest that this bear run will last a while longer, but all depends on how brave I am when it comes to the ‘buying low’ play. Wait too long and I could miss these bargain prices!! Ahhhhhhhh

1 Like

Personally, I went back into early. Still got a big 4-8% discount on stocks from peak, but then also lost 2-6% on them in the last one and a half day. Holding back with the rest of my money for now, I think it may be some weeks before the market stabilises a bit.

At the end I took all the profits I could, but I am still in the market.

Yeah, at this stage no point selling. Just gotta ride out the storm, but that’s fine as I am in it for the long haul and typically invest in quality stocks anyways that will rebound eventually.

Interesting tidbit from Barron’s:

“ Battered by fears of the impact of coronavirus, technology shares are rapidly approaching a decline of 10%—the classic definition of a stock-market correction”

1 Like

Took a big hit that erased all my gain. I have not sold a thing even the one still in profit (bohoo, centamin, Ceres, ITM). I bought a little more and will keep reinforcing and open new position in the following weeks!

6 Likes

I think I’ll be buying the dip multiple times rather than trying to find the bottom. Come Friday, the majority of the market could have taken a 10% hit already. Great time to be in it for the long haul!

5 Likes

There is something very strange. Chinese markets are not performing bad. What will happen in USA when the virus spread? Will they stop to work?

1 Like

This is my strategy, going to look at my watchlist and add the stocks I’ve had an eye on. Most are now at a 10% discount compared to last week, and like you say just average down on them because I believe when this spreads throughout the US and UK things will get really messy.

I also haven’t sold a stock, the reason I’ve picked my companies is that I believe in them for the next 5/10 years. I’m sure the Coronavirus won’t be the only big market mover over that time so I’m definitely holding.

5 Likes

Sensible advice here despite the clickbait headline:

3 Likes

More sensible advice from the same guy:

Key takeout:

“ This is one of those rare pieces of analysis that might have an affect on how I invest. The message is clear, don’t wait to buy the dip, just keep investing, because the earlier you start, the better off you’ll be.”

5 Likes

And read The Bottom Line Dollar Cost Averaging vs. Lump Sum: The Definitive Guide – Of Dollars And Data

1 Like

From Citywire (subscription only, so giving the headline): “FTSE mounts fight back to regain footing above 7,000 as bargain hunters finally step in after heavy stock market falls.”

2 Likes

U.S. stocks fell into negative territory, giving up earlier gains, after a Food and Drug Administration official gave downbeat remarks about the future path of the coronavirus outbreak spreading across the world.

“For all intents and purposes, I think it’s fair to say we’re on the cusp of the pandemic,” Peter Marks, the head of FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said on Wednesday. “Is it definitely going to happen? No, but there is significant concern, as of overnight we have cases on six continents.“

Brace yourselves for another heavy day in the red!

1 Like

I’m generally a pessimist with this market at the moment. I am not sure Coronavirus is going to be a doomsday scenario in itself but nevertheless could prove to be the catalyst that causes a revaluation of the market down. At a certain point, the liquidity the central banks are putting into the system to prop it up will lose effectiveness and this could be that moment.

1 Like

I believe that no one can really time the market, so if I ever invest seriously, perhaps I just put aside some money every month and don’t think about it. Stocks over time go up.

The biggest inertia to me is to make investing into a habit.

3 Likes

It’s events like these that makes you wonder if you just follow Joseph Carlson or PPCian and just invest solely for dividend cash flow :man_shrugging:t3::thinking: taking the whole emotion out of investing.

I’m still dripping in here but I am also considering holding off till next week, as I can see this escalating. Even the mainstream are pushing the Covid news now, and when that happens you know it’s time to prepare for the worst.

1 Like

You could use a micro saving app like Chip, which plugs into your current account via open banking, analyses your spending habits and on that basis calculates your likely disposable income at the end of that particular month. Then on a weekly basis, it automatically moves money out of your current account. At the end of the month you just shift that into FreeTrade and invest. Helps form a habit.

4 Likes

Have been averaging down each day this week while dreaming of the big gains at the other end, was really proud of myself, had an island mansion picked out and everything smh

5 Likes