Coronavirus and Stock Markets - Thoughts?

You have to stay clear-headed.

Just like/never like/don’t be like this person (note, he’s fictional):

:mask: and… …new vaccine found! :crazy_face:

(That’s why I am not selling all my stocks).

Three weeks ago the mad hedge fund trader sent out an email with his usual 5 tips on current affairs. Bullet point one said; “as of today I have sold out of all live trades and am 100% cash and anybody buying into the market right now is an idiot, BUY GOLD”. (Spoken lightheartedly in a jokey way). He also mentioned a 10% correction will likely happen this month not only because of coronavirus but also a year long earnings recession and trade war still current. The corona virus just made it more imminent.

The Mad Hedge Fund trader email tips throw out ‘Five’ bullet point paragraphs once or twice a week or whenever things that are worth talking about are happening, from his perspective.

I am posting the link to throw your email in because I feel like more people here could do with hearing sound tips on current matters. I spend 20 seconds reading his free bullet point email updates and it pretty much sums up all I need to hear. (& yes although I am not a trader, I did listen and hold all my money back the past two weeks and only own gold)

I have paid attention to his brief emails for a year and can confirm he talks sense and is rly funny also.

https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com

8 Likes

“all economic expansions are all alike, while recessions are all miserable in their own way.
https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/what-the-next-recession-will-look-like/

Any software developers here? Facebook has cancelled its F8, which is in May:

What’s gonna happen to I/O:

If you have to buy airline tickets, get the refundable ones :eyes:. And wash your hands.

2 Likes

Same applies to hotel rooms, I’d say.

1 Like

Nice one @101.

“It’s the Fed ending of its repo program in April, announced in the Fed minutes eight days ago. No QE, no bull market.”

https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/hot-tips/

2 Likes

He’s a rly awesome guy and throws you 5 major tips and mixes it with some of his travel photos haha. It is a golden perspective on major things worth knowing, even if you are a longterm investor, he caters for the longterm investors with little hints like (“buy google on dips”) (“stay away from energy for the next 10 years”).

Fully agree. Market needed a reason to correct and it got it

Is he geared to advice on options or general trading?

Front page on website reads →

YOUR SOURCE FOR WINNING TRADE ALERTS, REAL MARKET WISDOM, AND GLOBAL ECONOMIC INSIGHTS!

The regular email alerts with 5 bullet points are really great. Geared towards market insights and sly comments on what is the real deal.

Drop your email in and read an email when it comes, the email has 2 bullet points then you click to see the last 3 bullet points.

His business offers actual trade alerts which you would pay a one off subscription for and that would be actual trades to put on and when to sell out, but that is for traders and not necessary if you merely want to just get an insight into the week/month/future etc… which is why he writes the free email insights with 5 bullet points, it is very genuine. I doubt anybody could fault his comments and the info he links to. Literally 20 seconds of his words, gives you exactly the thought process you wanted. Really credible guy, occasional free webinars too giving market insights for the quarter, year… For a long term investor the email updates are just excellent and help you along, steering you away from making huge imminent mistakes.

1 Like

seems a bit scamy.

There is nothing to buy. Like, I just read 20 seconds of an email then move on with my afternoon. Its like having an instant insight to current affairs, without wasting any of my time.

Even exchanges get the lurgy
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/toronto-stock-exchange-halts-trading-for-technical-issue-amid-heavy-volume.html

Fair enough mate. I was asking because you know what some free sign ups are like, free but you start getting all sorts of mail.

so kind of like moneybox?

It doesn’t actually do that for some banks, Monzo being one of them. It essentially makes an educated guess based on knowledge it has from other customers in a similar demographic.

Toronto Stock Exchange closes early…this is what worries me when it comes to waiting :joy:

Well it crashed the DOW

The Motley Fool CIO just emailed:

Think like an owner, not a trader.

We never get tired of saying this because it needs to be said. Even those who buy into our investing philosophy might need a reminder in times like these.

Act like an owner of your businesses, not a trader of them. We don’t trade tickers; we invest in companies — great companies with business models that we believe are transforming their industries and making a difference in the world. Our favorite companies have loyal customers, growing markets, and unique advantages over their competitors.

Yet stocks do indeed fall — sometimes dramatically — but they recover.

Looking at past data, corrections like this happen once every 12 to 18 months or so and last four to six months. It’s been more than a year since the last correction, so we’re not shocked to see one. In fact, we’re kind of on schedule.

The silver lining is that corrections tend to snap back within about four months, according to Goldman Sachs data. Furthermore, keep in mind that over time, stocks spend 3 times as much time going up as going down. We just need to get through the down days to make sure we experience the ups.

Stocks are volatile in the short term, but over the long term, returns are far more positive than negative.

During a single day, it’s a coin toss whether your stock goes up or down. Over a year, the odds improve so that two-thirds of the time you’ll win. Stretch that out to three or five or 10 years, and your chances to make money skyrocket. In fact, in almost 9 times out of 10 over the past 100 years, stocks make you money over any 10-year period.

This is related:

2 Likes