DS Smith plc SMDS

This firm produces plastic and paper packaging for businesses across the world.

What are people thinking for the future of DS Smith. It has taken a bit of a knock today, but my gut and from what I have read makes me think that there is a bright future ahead of them?

1 Like

Personally I think that as long as people keeping buying stuff it will need some kind of packaging to put it in! (Shovels in the gold rush kind of thinking). I’ve been dripping some money into DS Smith since June 2020 and am currently up c25%. I have also been invested in Mondi for 18m or so (up about 10%) and expecting it to pick up when its factory refurb is finished

2 Likes

It’s in my long term hold. I’m waiting for its stock price to drop before I buy more. I have a decent holding in relation to my portfolio size. Happy to buy more but I want want to see if there is a wider market correction in horizon before stocking up.

Agreed - I think the world is their oyster at the moment. Huge growth in e-commerce, pretty good footbald in the FMCG arena and very environmentally astute. Keen to see where this one goes!

1 Like

Worldwide cardboard shortages, seems a good buy right now

mmm - doesn’t that pose a huge potential risk?

Depends I suppose. They can sell everything they can make and potentially increase prices on the positive side

3rd Quarter results Thursday 10 March :crossed_fingers:

Anyone received their dividend yet?

1 Like

yeah just got it now

Am adding to my position, expect earnings to be as expected and guidance to be decent, considering the macroeconomic conditions. I also expect the dividend to increase and, although I think it very unlikely, they have the cash to do a share buyback, but that might be foolish given the continued need to invest in the growth of the company.

2 Likes

Rumour
has it there could be a buyout on the horizon

Where are you seeing that rumour?

Mondi thought about a buyout 2 years ago!

Big drop off

Anyone still in this. Only LTH from the FTSE 100 for me.

Very interesting write-up on the potential merger with Mondi.

Specifically this section:

In the report’s base case of €300 million synergies, Mondi shareholders could see a >5% increase in earnings per share if they paid up to £4.30 to acquire DS Smith – yet perceived M&A risks and concerns that all synergies would go to DS Smith shareholders are reportedly preventing many Mondi shareholders from paying over £4. So far, talks have mostly fallen within the parameters of £3.50 and £3.80.

Generally, Jefferies believes that, unless synergies are higher than its €300 million base case, a price range between £3.60 and £3.80 will be the ‘sweet spot’ – potentially balancing the opposing demands of each company’s shareholders. DS Smith shareholders would still be expected to share the upside of the new entity, while Mondi shareholders would reap the benefits of strategic rationale plus >10% earnings per share accretion.

Still a bit of upside left then. I’m more interested in whether people will continue holding if it were to go through? There’s also the question of antitrust approval which I guess depends on the Smurfit deal. If that’s okayed I feel like regulators will have no choice but to accept this one too as a beefed up No 2.

Mondi have reached agreement with the board. Ratio seems to be 3.7 DS Shares per Mondi share, so 365p at the current price.

3 Likes

What are people’s thoughts on the takeover ???