☑[Feature Request 🔧] Autopilot 🤖 (Automatic investment)

Beyond some low level tinkering to the UI EU rollout seems to be the only major enhancement on the list at present.

I feel your pain. Auto-invest’s at the top of my list along with a web portal and Lisas. I am hopeful FT will deliver all three eventually but I could see myself switching before then due to slow progress. For my use case, FT’s not much cheaper than HL and it may be worth paying a bit extra for everything I need.

They have already said they are working on it.

Yes I’m aware of that via a post in this thread from checks notes June 2018…

Automated pound cost averaging. I feel like it is an exceptional opportunity to put money to work in the stock market given where prices are, but a fools game to call the bottom in this bear market. Best to keep investing with a long term outlook.

Yet FrancisH’s post above says they are yet to start work on autopilot… doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that it will appear anytime soon.

2 Likes

Allow a user to create their own portfolio to be invested in automatically on a direct debit basis;
E.g.
10% Tesco, 5% Ocado, 5% Lloyd’s, 20% S&P500 etc. So if I transfer £200 per month that’s split equally in my Pre-made portfolio (£20 to Tesco in this scenario).

Means I can set a standing order with my bank, and then invest in my chosen companies/securities quickly and easily.

Better for me as a user, better for you as you get my money invested quicker.

1 Like

To add to what Harry said, as the ETFs and UK stocks cannot be bought partially, these will round down to the nearest share.

Whereas the US shares, due to the ability to own partial shares, could be more accurate.

I assume Harry did not add it to 100% to save on space, but in theory, before the user’s own ‘basket is created’, they could go through the Discovery tab and pick stocks/ETFs, assign % allocation, Freetrade will validate whether it adds up to 100%, and then the basket is there. Say, 50% MSCI World, 10% Amazon, 10% Apple, 10% Facebook, 10% Netflix and 10% Google (example for illustration purposes only) - confirm the creation and there you go: once you raise an order, six orders will come through the backend but the user will see their mini-fund on the Portfolio tab.

7 Likes

Yep - so long as there is some consistency and it always rounds down for UK then it wouldn’t be a problem, the user can get used to it easily.

In my head it is an additional functionality so you can create a couple of portfolios i.e “HarryG’s ISA Portfolio” and another for my Pension portfolio if I wish. It allows me to regularly in invest for the long term and maintain consistent allocation levels. It could for example pop up at the top of discovery tab, personalised for each user so you can see your portfolios as a single product, and then individual securities.

Ad-hoc top ups could be made into this portfolio, or into other securities on a discretionary basis.

3 Likes

I’m a bit late sharing this and we may or may not be thinking of providing exactly what’s been requested here but we mentioned in Our plans for 2019 blog post that -

And if you think your portfolio could be better, we’ll even have automation options to assist you in your investing journey.

so we’re heading in the right direction :robot:

7 Likes

This should have been in the Christmas list :confused:

3 Likes

Where are we with this offering? That was 2 years ago this offering was suggested. Honest to god everything takes forever with Freetrade. One of Freetrades nearest competitors has this available and has done for about 6 months. I really want this offering and I want to commit £200 per month. investing in roughly 10 companies.

2 Likes

While I think this is a key feature, I would believe this would be more useful once they deliver fractional UK shares

1 Like

The competitor I am referring to allows you to buy UK shares

1 Like

Fair enough, that’s a +1 on the to do list then

I just feel they should get a move on. Even if it means paying Top Dollar for the best engineers by poaching them from other companies. You got to speculate and take risks in business. Everything takes so long with Freetrade. European expansion,investment platform,adding stocks(I know that has dramatically improved) deposits and withdrawals taking ages,deposits should be instant and withdrawals 1-2 days. Sorry rant over

2 Likes

I would even try and poach the engineer that developed “The Pie” from the competitor. They need to start paying top money and offering share incentives to get the best engineers. Even if it means raising more cash. What’s happening with Ireland and the Netherlands roll out? They have stopped communicating on this Forum. Where is Viktor? He used to be on this everyday.

I do think this should be prioritised (naturally I am biased as I suggested it haha) but it makes the whole process so much simpler. You can set a standing order to put money into Freetrade, and the auto allocate to a pre-set portfolio. It’s the perfect set-and-forget investment process, and one that Freetrade are championing instead of trader-y focussed products.

1 Like

Much needed feature. Makes life easier. Have we got any sort of time frame we should be expecting this feature ?

2 Likes

Its a require feature, I just tried it with Trading 212 & it awesome. Come on Freetrade you need steal this from Trading 212. Are there Timeframes???

5 Likes