☑ [Feature Request 🔧] Desktop/Web Interface

I think basic functionality in the web version would be fine, at least in the beginning, if it helps the web version come to fruition faster. A very spartan approach would be quite desirable here.

1 Like

Have you considered a TradingView REST API integration to keep overheads low?

2 Likes

Same here. I would to trades on desktop, and everything else (browsing, managing watchlists, etc.) on mobile while on the go.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the main thing with a desktop interface is usability. The Freetrade app is quite sorely lacking in terms of being able to research companies and shares.

I think the timeline is next to useless because it doesn’t show you any sort of detail in the timeline (even things like line separated months/days/hours) so I have to go elsewhere to even diagnose timelines. Especially when you select Max, what is Max? Since it was registered on the exchange, or Freetrade? There’s no dates, so it’s impossible to say. Again, I’d have to go elsewhere.

Company news? Again, I have to go elsewhere.

At the moment, I have to do all my research elsewhere, on the comfort of a larger screen and with the benefit of more information - and then only when I’m ready to purchase do I have to come back to the app, and place my order on my phone.

Having a web interface won’t overcome the shortcomings of the app, but it will make it far more convenient to buy/sell when I need to.

11 Likes

As much as I would like a website in reality I don’t think it is a good use of Freetrade’s time at the moment. Virtually every statistic shows mobile usage is growing much faster than PCs.

Counties like China are even more extreme where mobile dominates internet usage.

3 Likes

We’ll definitely prioritise adding some of the functionality that’s been mentioned in this thread to the app before we build a web app. We’re ‘mobile first’ & always will be :iphone:

4 Likes

Instead of building web application, can you release the API?

As, an new investors to freetrade even I would not like our efforts to go into building a new team. But as a developer, I would like to create a small application for tracking and managing my portfolio.

6 Likes

This would be interesting. The Monzo approach where they built the APIs to see what the wider crowd do with it, then they built some solutions off the back of it.

Generally good practice if they can create a public API for their own growth.

Would love a web app where I could find the price graphs for all the shares, being able to invest in new shares, sell existing shares and of course view my existing shares.

It would seem that this has been added to the roadmap :smiley:

8 Likes

I think it’s about time. Being forced to trade on a small phone doesn’t really make for a great experience.

3 Likes

is there a webapp in works for the app? i love the mobile app and all but sometimes i like to use my pc to check the market get a bit of work done

If you look at Freetrade’s roadmap of things being developed, it’s on there but on the far right, under ‘long term >6 months’.

I too would like the option of a webapp.

Freetrade Web is in the Long term: >6 months column of the roadmap: Trello

Hello Alex - As per the other contributors to this post, my preference would be to access freetrade using a website on my laptop computer.

Having said that, I’m happy to try the app however I use LineageOS and (intentionally) don’t have the Google Play store installed. The only app store I have is F-Droid. Would it be possible to host a download link to the APK on the freetrade website? Other apps such as WhatsApp do this: WhatsApp

If this is not possible then I guess I’ll have to wait until a functional freetrade website is delivered…

EDIT: Just realised (based on activity) that Alex may no longer be involved with with freetrade. So if any other other staff could respond to my query that would be much appreciated.

@Freetrade_Team1 has since left Freetrade. I’m not sure it’s possible to use anything different but maybe @Freetrade_Team, @simonpoole or @Ian may be able to provide more info.

1 Like

:wave:

Restricting the app to certified devices on the play store is one of the security controls we have for users. However we’re working on additional controls that should allow us to remove this restriction in the next few months. Once this work is complete we could look at hosting an APK if there’s enough demand.

We’ll also provide web access at some point in future but it’s likely to be later this year or early next.

5 Likes

@Ian Thanks for the response.

I hope the web interface makes some progress this year, it’s currently the 2nd most popular request in terms of number of votes: Ideas 💡 - Freetrade Community

4 Likes

Does anyone have any info on the potential for a Freetrade webpage. This would open up Freetrade to everyone in the UK as not only do a lot of people mistrust apps some have android devices that use an outdated version so are not compatible. Any comments

FT have mentioned they will be building one, but it’s a little further down the line. The current focus is on app functionality and European expansion.