[Feature Request 🔧] Gifting shares 🎁

If you have a search you’ll find this is already a very popular idea.

Make sure you cast your vote here too:

1 Like

Nice idea but there are tax implications, explained better here: Can you give shares as a present to family or friends? | Shares Magazine

Reviving this thread. Hopefully get more interest! Def good way to get more ppl into investing which in line with FT ethos (obviously assuming there is way around the legal stuff).

2 Likes

Thabks for sharing this.

Here is some info from HMRC:

Is this gifting process something we could do ourselves?

I am unsure as I believe the share owner is technically Freetrade on our behalf.

Any thoughts?

You must send it to the registrar of the company you have bought shares in along with the stock transfer form and share certificate.

The address of the registrar is on the share certificate. The registrar will then issue you with your own share certificate.

If you’re submitting a form SH03 to Companies House, you should include a copy of the letter with the certificate.

It only works if you own the shares directly - which as you mention, we don’t.

I saw this image on insta and thought why is this not possible? Imagine being able to buy friends and family members shares. They’d redeem a real/digital voucher. Need to set up an account (wink wink - more users). They open their account, a similar animation to the free share animation happens and then let’s say a Disney share appears in their account. Thoughts?

1 Like

Ahhh didn’t see there was already a thread on this sorry

1 Like

So long as you can satisfy the KYC and ML laws you are good.

Love this idea and hope it happens soon.

The freind or family member would probably need to be a member of freetrade for this to take place, if freetrade bought it in.

I wouldn’t mind if someone gifted me more £DGE and $KO. :sunglasses: Check the username. :hugs:

1 Like

Shares can also be gifted to people. It would be good to have this as a feature to gift shares to people we know.

That does seem tge better way with the gift card idea. Shares would already be purchased and if the person doesnt already have a freetrade account it would offer freetrade the opportunity to get a larger client base as their aim is to get more people into trading.

Look how does their Ecologi gift planting trees/ climate positive gifts page. When recipients redeem the gift, the recipient gets their own Ecologi profile. I would love to see a Freetrade version: https://ecologi.com/gifting

1 Like

This would be great for growth and I am v supportive.

2 Likes