Fractional shares (UK)

Magic. Ta.

I thought fractional UK shares was on the roadmapā€¦has this changed recently?

1 Like

Yes, youā€™re right. UK fractionals are on our roadmap for the future.

12 Likes

If you want to offer an automated ā€œinvest monthlyā€ feature (I hope you do), and donā€™t want to complicate things by saying ā€œbut you canā€™t do it with UK sharesā€ (not that I think most people would want to; tracker ETFs make more sense), youā€™ll need fractional shares on everything first.

Because I donā€™t think it makes sense for an automated investment of Ā£X to not invest 100% of X every time. You donā€™t want to be worrying about manually sweeping up your un-invested remainders.

I agree. UK fractionals would be preferable alongside a recurring trade feature like this: Recurring trades

1 Like

Recurring trades can work without fractionals, Thatā€™s the way HL do it, they just buy as many shares as possible up to the amount you set and any spare cash ends up as cash in your account

2 Likes

Apologies if this has been answered, but will you get the choice to either purchase fractional or whole.

My scenario is for basic orders when say I put Ā£100 and the order is executed at 4pm, I donā€™t know what the exact price is - so I may want either Ā£100 worth of shares or the amount of full shares I can get for Ā£100 with the difference refunded, as you guys do today.

Just want to know that I can do either or when the option arises?

Cheers

Curtis

We donā€™t offer fractional shares yet. Thanks for the heads up, weā€™ll get in touch with them.

Itā€™s a bit too soon to say exactly how fractional shares will work. The nice thing is that theyā€™ll enable us to let you https://community.freetrade.io/t/buy-an-specific-number-of-shares-rather-than-a-amount/1486 - although that might not be an option straight away when they launch.

1 Like

Okay good to know mate!

1 Like

Trading212
Launched fractional share buying option today. They started with selected 30 companies shares.

Hope Freetrade starts soon. Coz currently Trading212 is taking all my investments.

5 Likes

I like they went super low at a minimum of 10p for fractional. Ocado is a interesting one for the list with shares at around Ā£12, although I suppose if you have loose change then it makes sense. Fractional European Shares ( not ETFs ) like Unilever, and Ocado is a first as far as I knowā€¦unless I missed something.

What does the UI look like for Trading212 Fractional Shares?

1 Like

Just bought Tesla (0.004 shares ) for Cost Ā£1.15

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a bit of pocket money in Trading 212 in the invest account as Iā€™ve maxed my Freetrade ISA. Just waiting for new tax year to add to my Freetrade ISA.
Is Trading 212 sustainable ? They seemed to have chopped and changed their pricing a bit. Now all free bar the trading account which I wouldnā€™t touch.
I want good companies to make money and be sustainable.
Freetrade have the core values from the start, it felt good to see my 1st Ā£3 ISA payment go out last week. Canā€™t wait for Alpha.
Not knocking T212.
Long term investing gets the rewards. Thatā€™s what Freetrade are all about.

8 Likes

I canā€™t wait for freetrades fractional shares. Iā€™d love to set up a ā€œpotā€ in the future that instead of rounding up my bank card purchases and putting in a savings pot it rounds up and buys a set companyā€™s fractional shares!

7 Likes

Freetrade, get a banking licenseā€¦

3 Likes

Exactly

Exactly this. Fractional shares are a game changer. I use round ups and would use that to invest here.

3 Likes

They kept that quiet - I wouldnā€™t have known if I hadnā€™t seen your post.

Edit: Gave it a try:

1 Like

Thatā€™s super interesting about T212. If come the new tax year in April Freetrade havenā€™t caught up Iā€™ll be opening a T212 S&S and contributing there. Can evaluate both platforms one year later in terms of functionality and user experience.

2 Likes

This is also a fantastic idea that would really, really set Freetrade apart. Imagine the advertising possibilities with this - truly passive investing!