Freetrade integration with Emma

(Alex Sherwood) #1

This chat started with this comment from Emma’s co-founder -

I’ve moved the replies here to make the discussion easier for anyone who’s looking for info about this idea to find it. I’m sure there will be a lot more to talk about here in the future too :smile:

(Big Boss) #2

The Millennial smartphone saving revolution - FT Money
(Tommy Lowe) #3

That would be good to see, still waiting on Tesco Bank first though! :wink:

(Edoardo Moreni) #4

Well,

already made APIs with a simple oAuth flow take us 2hrs to integrate.

Scraping Tesco is a bit more difficult. :joy:

I thought you used a third party ( can’t remember their name ) to handle the connection?

Yodlee?

Googled it, I was thinking SaltEdge. There’s a bunch of these sort of companies.

(Edoardo Moreni) #8

We use TrueLayer.

Do you use TrueLayer for Monzo or Starling, or do you go directly when there’s proper APIs and stuff?

(Edoardo Moreni) #10

In the case of Monzo & Starling, we developed them in house because there was an API available. This will be the case for any other fintech integration which we’ll release.

When it comes down to banks, we use service providers to get there faster. TrueLayer doesn’t have Tesco Bank, hence why we don’t have it. :slight_smile:

(Andy) #11

I can’t see the vote button but this integration would be awesome. Although I have to remember not to look at investments daily so this wouldn’t necessarily help in that respect.

(Vladislav Kozub) #12

Hey Andy, voting is only available for topics posted in the #ideas section.

Because integration with third party apps will require cooperation of both Freetrade and (in this example) Emma, it makes the process significantly more complex.

It is also outside of the Freetrade developers’ remit to build this integration because you’d expect your holdings to be shown in Emma, whereas voting is for ideas Freetrade can implement in their own app.

In any case, I do absolutely agree with you that this integration would be great - you could not only see the total sum of all your banks’ balances, but also your Freetrade holdings added to those too :slight_smile: