Freetrade Plus just ruined my investment strategy

Hi all there are still a lot of options available on freetrade not sure why alternatives cannot be found. I would like to see a reduced dealing fee for shares or funds on Plus. Or a once a month offer to purchase options from the Freetrade Plus.

1 Like

There is no alternative for one of the funds I invest into, unfortunately without upgrade.

Whatā€™s the fund?

1 Like

Seems a bit dramatic to say not having one fund ruined your investment strategy. What is this wonderful fund that you must have?

1 Like

Totally agree, maybe the title can be changed as itā€™s totally over the top. Is Ivan back? :face_with_monocle:

It should do :smile: if it doesnā€™t I also have a thread for discussing Freetrades terms in more detail Seriously, Read the Execution Policy and the T&Cs - #14 by Eden

Legal documents are boring to many so as youā€™d expect itā€™s not a very popular thread :joy:

2 Likes

Not sure who Ivan is, but thanks for your comment and I think we politely can agree to diagree. My assumption is that a community is open for members sharing all types of experiences, good and bad. And again my assumption is that Freetrade would rather be aware of both.

Hereā€™s my thinking:

I have a strategy, I chose a provider based on that strategy and I now cannot invest via that strategy without the upgrade, therefore the strategy is ruined and I have already missed an investment date as a result. I appreciate you donā€™t agree, but you also donā€™t have sight of the strategy or the research and thinking behind it.

All the best.

You get us all interested what that magic fund is.

From my perspective: I was pissed off when they launched Plus because they paywalled stocks that were free before. I still think that was a bad move. However, for new stocks, I can understand the appeal of signing up for Plus. I understand that some Plus stocks are quite niche and not necessary for the common investor. The other features are interesting just not for me at this moment, so I stay with FT. I wrote here about switching to t212 but it would have to wait until April anyway so I still have time to change my mind. I am a bit more at ease now with Plus and accept that not everything can be free.

1 Like

Interestingly 212 and etoro have almost a carbon copy of some of their conditions around this area which is quite curious. But thatā€™s another conversation for a different thread

1 Like

Whatā€™s the fund? If itā€™s so good by itself to move to another provider then surely itā€™s worth Ā£7 a month?

Thanks for this, thereā€™s no magic, unfortunately. I have an approach that Iā€™m comfortable with based on the data I examined from the past. Whilst I understand that this is no guarantee of the future, my strategy makes sense to me and itā€™s one I want to spend my time testing and refining/rebalancing going forward.

If it leads to any useful returns, or magic, Iā€™ll share :slight_smile:

I get the feeling your ā€˜magic fundā€™ is simply leverage to complain. If not, why hide it given the nature of this thread?

13 Likes

They donā€™t ā€œdemandā€ that you upgrade. Relax.

Its also seems a bit odd that you simple register on the forum a couple of hours ago to complain and state you are closing your account. Whatā€™s the point in the chat ? Everyone knows that plus doesnā€™t make sense for everyone.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not what you are saying in this thread: different people have different experiences and you want to share them. That is fair enough. But you start about an investment strategy that is made impossible by FT Plus and say that itr is one specific fund. I am interested to know what that fund is. I am not saying I will buy it, I will do my own due diligence and most of us will make an informed decision based on what you tell us. Example: I would like to invest in Belgian stocks. With FT I cannot do that but the alternatives that allow Belgian shares are not as good as FT. So I looked what is available on FT and I invested in those companies. Could I have a different investment portfolio, yes, but there is an infinite amount of possibilities. Just interested in knowing what makes that specific fund so special.

2 Likes

Quite relaxed, thanks. The point is that when I tried to have this conversation via in-app chat I recevied no reply for 5 days which didnā€™t provide answers to all my questions.

Was this 5 days over Christmas/New Year, perhaps?

2 Likes

I havenā€™t tried to take money out yet, but donā€™t you just sell your shares and withdraw the money?

Even Iā€™m starting to become interested in this mystery ETF :smile:

6 Likes

I think Iā€™ve explained why Iā€™m choosing the fund in question. Besides telling you what that fund is and opening myself up for critisim (which will happen - take for example the ā€˜magic fundā€™ joke made a few times now) or other suggestions, either of which donā€™t solve my issue so thereā€™s nothing to gain. The only reason this thread is continuing is due to questions being asked or assumptions being made. I have my answer: FT have kindly offered 3 months free and then I have to pay the upgrade, or I transfer, or both.

Yes just after the bot suggested a wait time of a few hours.