Wanting to Try Plus but unsure

Hi Guys,

I really want to try PLUS as it has some really great shares. However, I just cant commit to the £9.99 just yet. I totally understand the value it brings but can not bring myself to do it. Anyone help? :slight_smile:

Just do it for 1 month, pay the 9.99 and buy your shares. Then cancel it. You can still hold and sell the shares after you cancelled. It’s really easy, you can do it on a month by month basis.

4 Likes

If you have 4K savings put it in the account then it’s basically ‘free’

1 Like

I thought about this but was unsure if I would still be able to sell. I am planning on a decent size buy so the 9.99 is nothing really, especially other firms charging 11.95.

Yes. The only thing you can’t do is buy. But it’s quite flexible. If you want to buy that share a couple of times a year, just buy plus for these times.
Generally, I agree that it’s cheap relative to legacy brokers anyway, but everyone has to decide for themselves if the features warrant it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me and my wife have an isa each. My isa has plus. Hers doesn’t and contains the holdings that we have that aren’t in plus. :grinning:

4 Likes

This might not be so simple - from the T&Cs, clause 6.1, paragraph 2: https://freetrade.io/terms-conditions:

If you cancel your status as a Plus user, you will ordinarily not be entitled to sign up for Plus membership for a period of 3 months from the date on which you cancelled.

I guess if you can wait for 3 months, it’s fine.

2 Likes

I have just signed up now, thanks for all the help. However, I was charged £0.73 any idea what this could be for?

1 Like

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

As a founder of a paid subscription service which dwarfs FT, this clause is weird to me. On the one hand you want to incentivise your users to not cancel once subscribed, but on the other hand you should make it as easy as possible for them to re-subscribe in the future.

2 Likes

Active card check

Yes, it is a little weird but it seems like something to deter people from cancelling in the first place, perhaps playing on the younger generation’s FOMO, ie if you cancel now, you could be missing out on some hot stock in the next 3 months…

Not cancelling = less effort, ie you just leave the subscription running.
Re-subscribing requires effort and action

1 Like

I can see what they are trying to do, but it seems to me the wrong way to do it. This approach puts an unsurmountable wall between the customer and the paywall.

From experience – remind the user of what they are about to lose (in this case, it would be particular stocks, the ISA, etc) – provide a calculation which lays it out if it does so in the user’s favour. And then, once they have decided to cancel, which could be for a multitude of reasons (regularly beyond the customer’s control), reduce friction as much as possible to encourage onboarding once again.

I don’t have FT’s data, but from our own data, past paying customers are absolutely the most likely customers to pay again in the future. Blocking access to this set of users, for no matter how long, seems counterintuitive.

4 Likes

I would have a minimum 3 months sign up subscription the same as Monzo do for their Plus offering.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.