Freetrade - Plus Lite

Simple :+1: Your suggestion would wipe out most new Plus members who joined for meme stocks in 1 easy stroke. This would be a very bad impact on FT. The amount of people who will spend once every 3 months but only want plus stocks will be much lower.

It may be annoying for you personally but business strategy wise it is a no brainer.

Do you only make one trade every three months?

Whatā€™s your single investment out of curiosity?

Reason I ask is if you only make a single trade every three months then surly a broker that costs per trade would be far better value than a fixed monthly fee broker?

Freetrade frankly isnā€™t the broker for you in that case

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a myriad of options out there dependent on anybodyā€™s individual situation. I would suggest that finding a broker that suits personal exact circumstances is easier ( and more productive ) than choosing one that doesnā€™t and asking them to change.

6 Likes

Seems like everyone is ganging up on the OP, but I donā€™t think itā€™s such a terrible idea to have a slightly cheaper option without the ISA and some other stuff.

I know Freetrade have looked at this and decided against it, but Iā€™m not dead set against it

4 Likes

Iā€™m not meaning to gang up but just showing the reality of the situation as I see it. Freetrade isnā€™t meant to be all things to all people, and if youā€™re only making one trade every three months itā€™s cheaper to go to a broker that charges per trade. That just seems obvious to me

5 Likes

Thatā€™s ā€œyourā€ perception. I see it more as people trying to help and understand the OP dilemma/problem and help him find a solution.

1 Like

Understand the OPā€™s frustration but key here is simplicity, for Freetrade to keep their pricing simple - Plus or no-Plus, with no shades of grey in the middle.

Thatā€™s not to say that they couldnā€™t introduce them in the future as the business grows but for now, it doesnā€™t look like pricing structure will change.

2 Likes

This is the best answer on this thread.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a community forum - pointing out an alternative view isnā€™t ā€˜ganging upā€™ with all the negative connotations associated to that phrase. :+1:

1 Like

Freetrade will know the stats / correlation around the total portfolio value and how many people have opted to pay for Plus.

Clearly if an individual has an account value of say Ā£250, it would almost never make financial sense to pay Ā£10/month for Plus.

Assuming the additional cost to Freetrade of providing the Plus features to more people is negligible, then I think a tiered system based on portfolio value could make sense.

Iā€™m sure a tiered system has been suggested a few times in the past.

This would be bring in additional revenue to Freetrade from some accounts that are only currently using the free service. Would be more likely that customers would stay with Freetrade, and at the point in the future the customer has hopefully grown their portfolio value to a large enough value - Freetrade would collect the full Ā£10/month.

For example, a monthly charge 0.2% of the portfolio value (with a min charge of Ā£1) and cap the charge at a max Ā£10 / month.

3 Likes

I recognise what the OP is stating.

Personally, Freetrade gated some shares I purchased regularly before they did. I kind of now do what the OP states, every few months will pay Ā£9.99 to buy some shares, then cancel it. 4 times a year then Freetrade gain Ā£40 in 12 months. If I paid Ā£5 per month for all share access, they would get Ā£60 in 12 months. Clearly better for Freetrade from my point of view, just to open a few more shares to the market. Obviously would be a hit if people downgraded if they just wanted that. The question is, would they get more people sign up then downgrade?

Monzo now earn Ā£5 per month from me for having a smaller tier.

But whose to say that you wouldnā€™t just do what you do now? Activate all the shares 4 times a year and give Freetrade Ā£20, not Ā£40 per year?

3 Likes

I personally think Freetrade should implement a minimum sign up of 3 months for plus membership. To stop all these skinflints always trying to find ways to save a couple of quid.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a couple of quid. Itā€™s 5x that intact.

This is what Monzo have done. I can see FT doing this once theyā€™re happy theyā€™re retaining enough +users.

3 Likes

And OP would still be better off going somewhere else since they only make 4 trades per year, Ā£5 a month costs more than just paying per trade elsewhere.

3 Likes

I donā€™t get the impression that the OP was intending to only make a trade every 3 months. I think that timeframe was chosen because of the 3 months time you have to wait between cancelling and re-joining plus, so he was saying heā€™d buy it for a month, cancel and then re-join 3 months later.

It still seems like an awful lot of work for someone who said itā€™s too much of a hassle to just move Ā£4000 of his savings to FT to get the plus features for free, but each to their own.

Thatā€™s the info they gave. I did ask them to clarify if they really only made one trade every three months but they never replied.

The whole topic is pointless if weā€™re being given fake numbers to make it look like freetrade is more expensive than it actually is.

2 Likes

A discount for paying for a year up front would seem like a no-brainer.

7 Likes

I always thought a free share for a yearly up front would be a great idea.

5 Likes