Fuel & Gas Crisis 😱⛽️

On the subject of the increased demand for fuel, I made sure I was in one of the queues early on so I could fill up. We all knew the manufactured frenzy whipped up by the gutter press would result in supply issues so I figured I had a duty to myself/family to make sure that I wasn’t caught up in the shortages (in turn playing my part in the self fulfilling prophecy).

Still, it’s generated a lot of clicks and eyeballs on those gutter news websites so it’s worked out well for them. I wonder what they’ll report on next. I don’t think they’ve played up the turkey shortage to the max yet.

4 Likes

You’ve gotta love the women who empties her water bottle in the bin and then starts to put petrol in.

No wonder Shell is up

3 Likes

And then proceeds to drive around with a molotov cocktail in the boot of her car…

7 Likes

Things like this always make me question if democracy can really work if such people are allowed to vote :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Would her top count as a camo pattern? A city dwelling prepper? :joy:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: Some people are behaving as if we are going to be in some kind of Mad Max film scenario by Xmas. Muppets.
jones

3 Likes

Trouble is if you tell someone not to panic you just know their going to panic. Luckily myself and the wife both working from home at the moment so not using our cars much. ÂŁ50 of diesel is lasting me over a month when previously it only got me through the week.

3 Likes

“The situation is stabilising, according to Boris Johnson” this is the same man who said the pandemic would be over before Christmas :mask:

1 Like

Makes me laugh when they come on TV saying everything is fine despite everyone involved with trucking, petrol or any other industry suffering problems saying its not.

2 Likes

The thing is, they have to say that everything is ok, because people panic anyway.

What do you think people will do if they say everything is not ok? Even more will panic and it’ll be absolute carnage! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Boris says a lot of things. He not worth listening too. I remember at the start of the pandemic when there was concern around social distancing he said he was out there shaking as many hands as possible and we all know how that ended up.

3 Likes

If “people panic anyway” then might as well tell the truth. A mature, responsible government would at least acknowledge there is an issue before detailing what, if anything, they plan to do.

I geuss its about control. People would lack faith in their governments if the truth was known. Viva la revolution!!!

To people who are saying this is nothing to do with Brexit: why aren’t EU countries facing the same shortages? It’s not just the loss of 15 thousand EU drivers here, in the EU single-market, cabotage is easier. Might see if my car will run on blue passports and remoaner tears.

3 Likes

As always Simpsons saw it coming

TBF they are not saying everything is fine, they are saying there is no shortage which there is not. It is only due to panic buying and in many places not an issue at all. I filled up last night in a empty station.
And people in the industry are not all united in saying the opposite. Many have highlighted problems caused by cheap labour eroding work conditions and pay for years.
The simple fact is too many people live in echo chambers now on both the left and right wing when reality is somewhere in the middle.
That’s not to say HMG have done a good job at all, I wouldn’t let them run my bath, but too many people are tribal today and ignore reality. Just look at the Labour conference to see how ridiculous it is getting when they should be uniting and offering an alternative government and not bickering with each other.

8 Likes

Keir not challenging the government enough over the fuel crisis

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/29/keir-starmer-failure-attack-tories-fuel-crisis-frustrates-labour

Just to echo this, on Saturday I saw massive queues everywhere even at 23:20, so didn’t bother even queuing despite my tank being almost empty (about 20 miles left). The only place that still had fuel after maybe midday were the pricier ones, like Texaco, but as I said, the queues persisted all day and night.

On Sunday lunchtime, I noticed Sainsbury’s had reopened with a long queue (I’d estimate 30 cars waiting), but when I went on to the Tesco’s, there was barely any queue - with free pumps, the delay was just because only half had diesel, so they were stopping everyone to make sure they went to the correct pump.

By Monday, I noticed that all the garages seemed to have fully reopened with no queues at all.

To be honest, I’m surprised that people are still talking about this. With the best will in the world, if people are going to panic buy anything, then there will be supply issues. This isn’t a fuel issue, this is a basic fact of modern just-in-time delivery supply chains.

2 Likes

With fuel, there aren’t really many contingencies people can make. Once your car is empty you either fill it up, or else don’t use it for a journey you presumably needed to make. I denounce the violence, the aggression, the idiots running out with jerry cans - I wish they could be banned but understand why that’s impractical - but ultimately at the first signs of shortage there will be more acute panic with fuel than anything else.

Contrast this with the situation with food. The media have been talking about food supply issues for months, and they’re not wrong the situation is tentative. But with food, people have learned from 18 months ago that there are ways and means of handling that in a relatively orderly manner without increasing what they buy (and/or have learned that if you panic buy a freezer, fridge and six cupboards’ worth of food that you have no intention of eating, you’re just throwing money down the drain).

4 Likes

All very true but and this is why it is never black and white, many people are just topping up tanks so they have full tanks with no real need to do so. This is what is causing the shortage. I understand panic but people always use the nurses etc as a reason for needing to but the vast majority did not need to run out to the pump and make sure they can’t get another drop in the tank and sometimes extra in cans etc.

The real sad thing about all this is that not enough is being made of why this proves EV and solar are a great idea to get ASAP. We have scared people away from public transport so they use more fuel and then moan about the environment :joy: :man_facepalming:

MSM and social media thrive on a constant crisis and people believe then live it. Maybe I live in a magical area of the country but food shelves are pretty full and I have always got what I wanted bar a few things for a week during toilet roll panic and never had more than 5-10 mins wait for petrol similar to a busy/sunny bank holiday.

1 Like