Gresham House Energy Storage Fund - GRID

Looks like mine turned up today, no notification yet but i noticed the extra funds.

Actually no it hasn’t, judging by the amount i think it’s NESF which was due today.

1 Like

Right, i can now confirm that it has arrived. It came in 2 instalments but it’s all there.

Yes and came up as backdated?
You cant say it arrived on Monday when it arrived on Friday? (Meant as an example cant remember actuals)
1 instalment was interest paid as a dividend the other was an ordinary dividend.
I need to do some research as i don’t understand how they can do that. It implies they are being paid interest on loans.
I will get back when i can be arsed to look it up.

Sold some shares in my Hargreaves SIPP bought a large amout of GRID.
spread was down as sell 85.80p | Buy: 88.00p but the actual buying price was 85.82.
Pressed buy about 4 times to check it was correct (have to click confirm for it to go through).
That is a small spread…assuming that 85.80p is the sell price.
As Hargreaves Lansdown value the shaes you buy based on the sell price and not middle it appears accurate.

Does anyone know what has prompted the rapid fall in GRID price? It looks to be part of a battery sector re-rating with HEIT and GSF also falling dramatically. It appears there are concerns that current dividend policies are unsustainable but I’m not sure what has triggered this view in the last month?

Hi due to

"Falling UK revenues left dividends of all three funds uncovered last year and with no sign of a let-up in 2024, Jefferies analyst Matthew Hose believed they would have to reassess their distribution policies.

‘We estimate calendar 2023 dividend cover to be 0.1 times for GRID, 0.5 times for GSF and 0.0 times for HEIT (ie, costs are offsetting cash income). Coupled with the funds’ capital constraints, requiring capital to fund constructions projects, this results in material risks to current dividends, particularly as the pressures on GB battery revenue are unlikely to ease until at least the fourth quarter this year,’ Hose said in a note yesterday."

Painful or what?
Particular bad news as none of them have issued a statement about the falls.

Seems to be an over-reaction to short term challenges. I still think this is a fundamentally strong growth opportunity so I’ll look to keep buying and average down my holding.

I am generally against the concept of averaging down.
“Throwing good money after bad money”
But as you stated the fall is overdone.
Made worse by no reaction by the board? Which of course creates uncertainty… something the market overreacts to.
In this case almost certainly ridiculously so.

Don’t know about GRID, but GORE have put out several statements about the price decline. I also don’t think the Jefferies analyst has his figures correct as GORE reported operational dividend cover of 1.15x, and it’s capacity is set to more than double with international revenues staying strong. They also just received a £15m investment from Nidec at NAV (IE 30/40% higher than market price).

Then there’s the balancing mechanism update that occurred last month. Personally buying as much GORE as I can because this price action doesn’t look rational.

1 Like

GRID have now released a trading update. Confirms suspension of dividend. Looks like a double whammy of National Grid’s new Balancing System not delivering the expected increased utilisation of BESS and continued delays in grid connections for new sites.

1 Like

Yeah this pretty much makes GRID and HEIT uninvestable at present, until NG and the government sort out the balancing market. Thankfully only poured a little into HEIT. Nice buying opportunity for GORE.

Oof, just when you think these trusts may be bottoming out – lower they go. I’m glad I managed to talk myself out of pulling the trigger.

This is a helpful reminder for me to stick to the mantra: if in doubt, do nowt.

1 Like
1 Like

Up 40% last 7 days.
The falls particularly in investment trusts seems to be extreme as does the reverse.
If only I had the bottle. I was certain these had fallen to far so I bought at the bottom…a meaningless amount so still at loss.
Really need to show more bottle when