HMRC tax refund delays?

Hi all,

Curious to check if anyone is in a similar situation to mine… I’ve submitted the self assessment with my accountant back in March and have yet to receive the refund that I’m owed. Chased HMRC every month since May and they give a typical blank answer with no real information.

Funny how when you owe the government anything they will hound you out until they get their way, but on the flip side we’re just left here standing :upside_down_face:

Any suggestions from more experienced folks in here other than just “waiting”?

4 Likes

I’ve always got mine within a week. Maybe it’s your accountant you should be chasing.

1 Like

Normally receive mine very quick. Actually just finished mine today for submission tomorrow so will let you know

1 Like

I spoke with HMRC on the phone as I had other related questions, but they did mention the turn around in June was looking like 2 months out, so it sounds like that’s unusually slow.
Main this is probably confirming they’ve recieved the documents well in advance of any 3 year expiry dates (but if you have an accountant, they are probably best to advice)

1 Like

I have been waiting since April as well also three other friends of mine :cry: I was quite concerned until I mentioned it to them.

1 Like

I called HMRC this morning to check they’ve recieved my documents. The response I got was they are delayed in processing EIS claims. What was a June submission from me is scheduled to be processed by end of March

1 Like

Goodness me that’s quite the delay

Did the say if your documents have been received?

1 Like

Yeah they can confirm for you if they have recieved them. HMRC will honour the EIS claim based on the date they recieve your documents, rather then when they process them

Waited six months for them to tell me I’ve completed the forms wrong :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming: Oops

4 Likes

Yes, they are being very very slow, I’m waiting for them to respond to some EIS certificates I sent in August.

I have a bunch of EIS certificates more ready to send, but I’m holding them for now as the last time I sent several they got the things wrong, and had to call them many times to fix the issue.

Is anyone else finding that tax refunds are taking longer this year? I submitted at the start of this tax year and instead of an automatic refund, they required a manual claim (which I only became aware of when I logged in to see if there was a problem). Weeks later the refund has still not been paid. Last year they paid within days. :frowning:

If your tax tax refund is reference EIS relief mine took 6 months from a previous round which i had not long applied for.
I Also have another one i need to apply for which now know the timeline i need to wait.

1 Like

Still waiting for an EIS round previous to their last raise.

1 Like

The refund is for EIS, but it was my whole self-assessment form for 2021-22. While I have been waiting, they even sent a marketing email suggesting that people send in their forms at the start of the tax year (which I had) rather than wait until the January 2023 deadline - which seems strange if they already have a backlog.