Hotel Chocolat - HOTC

UK based Luxury chocolate store - recent potential plans to expand to America and Japan.

Google Finance

I’m absolutely with this. UK’s only bean-to-bar producer.

1 Like

Hotel Chocolat manufactures premium chocolate and cocoa-related products, and sells these direct to customers. The Group sells its products online and through a network of 96 stores in the UK and abroad, with 96% of FY17 sales occurring in the UK. The Directors believe that Hotel Chocolat is the UK’s favourite premium chocolate brand, providing a differentiated, cocoa-rich taste at an accessible price.

The business was founded in 1993 by Angus Thirlwell and Peter Harris and has traded under the Hotel Chocolat brand since 2003. Hotel Chocolat has a strong and distinct brand that is at the core of its offering and is built on values of originality, authenticity and ethics.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this overview :pray: I’ve moved your post over to this topic to keep all of the votes here, please do add yours.

After watching the tv series about Hotel Chocolat, I felt inspired to join Freetrade to start investing in the company.
Angus Thirlwell’s Hotel Chocolat has shown that cashing-in on customer loyalty and adapting each store’s offering to suit customer demand, boosts profits. Opening 15 new stores in such a tricky trading period was no mean feat. And down-playing its original subscription-based customer model and driving sales into stores shows how niche, high-end retailers remain a crucial part of the UK retail sector. As well as proving that you have to adapt your original ideas.

With plans now to launch in the US and Japan later this year, things are certainly looking sweet for Hotel Chocolat. The AIM-listed chocolatier is bucking the downward trend in the UK retail sector and has even managed to fend off the bitter taste that the weakness of sterling left on raw material costs.

The brokerage reckons Hotel Chocolat is in a very small group of UK retail companies which are seeing top line growth and margin expansion.

Although I have invested in a couple of other companies, I really believe this would be a fantastic addition to Freetrade.