How many users now?

friend just signed up 879,2XX

51 Likes

Thanks. We seem to be maintaining the daily new user sign up rate of 1,600 :clap:t3:

8 Likes

My friend just signed up # 887598

54 Likes

Small sample size but a nice wee uplift to 2,000/dayā€¦

3 Likes

It would be totally out of place if only the UK as the people who want an account to target are shrinking and the end of lockdowns also mean a huge amount of people now concentrate on life outside instead of saving.

That said the expansion will mean huge new numbers but they probably wonā€™t fit the graph and will have huge spikes when each destination opens rather than curves up. I would guess the numbers will be a lot more than those projections if Euro/Japan happens anytime soon.

What would be more interesting is the real customer numbers that are active as god knows what % of accounts have a single share plus the free share in or are closed now as a you-tuber told them they can get a free lunch/share and they just clicked to get that.

Things are looking super good for FTs future but I really donā€™t get the peoples obsession with user numbers as it is not a good indicator of how well a company is doing when they encourage people to sign up for a single transaction. Not saying it is a bad way to get customers at all just that this makes the user numbers a bit of a red herring to assess the company. :+1:

I actually think an offer of free ā€œx monthsā€ Plus membership would bring more long term people to sign up and encourage people to get into the subscribed option which would be more beneficial to FT as that is good income for them. Maybe mix up the offers to feel more fresh than the same old free shares option.

I know 2 people who never added funds after depositing and getting that free share but if they were auto signed up for say 3 months free Plus and actually offer that free share as well then they would probably have kept paying the plus membership and maybe bought more.

I mentioned on another thread a referral i made who now has deposited Ā£30k and got an ISA and they signed up 6 months ago but after the first 10 mins excitement of the Ā£6 free share they were not interested. It took me months to show them the benefit of Plus and now they are signed up and FT get decent money monthly.

If they had been given a 3 month free trial they would probably have spent big months ago when they appreciated the ISA and seen the interest payments benefits etc. Bit of a tangent there but it would produce better figures I feel :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Seeing as we canā€™t know the other more ā€˜meaningfulā€™ measurements, such as assets under management, or like you say, active users with more than just the free share in their account, this is just something fun to know.

Other meaningful numbers would be the number of Plus users, those with ISAs or SIPPs (how about those who max out their ISAs and SIPPs each year, how about any with millionaire portfolios?) but theyā€™re not obliged to share that info with us/the public so all weā€™ve got is the excitement of the next user number :laughing:

So, how many users now?

18 Likes

:joy: :+1: Yeah it is interesting indeed. My point was that some imply it is an indicator of how the business is doing when it isnā€™t. I then went on a tangent as it would be a good indicator if the free share came with 3 months Plus free as that would mean many start an ISA that typically locks you in.

4 Likes

Well just to throw it out there that Iā€™ve maxed out this years ISA allowance and was only a couple of K off last years. So youā€™ve got one metric at least lol

7 Likes

Iā€™ve maxed out my Freetrade ISA this year also.
Plus membership and Freetrade SIPP.

8 Likes

It should be a priority to get people straight into the plus world and especially getting an ISA. I would love FT to aggressively promote the benefits of the Plus/ISA/SIPP package as it is really good value if you have the lot. Similar to Amazon always offering a free trial of PRIME to get people in the paid ranks FT should do the same with Plus.

3 Likes

Generally been 21 to 25 in recents weeks. Move to either side of 20 post Rita and various promotions. Bit surprised to see move to 13 today. Perhaps just catching up.

20 Likes

Has been flirting with top 200. Currently 178 FYI

12 Likes

Does anyone have an end of August user number to share? Should be very close to 900,000 now.

September should be exciting. September 7th is the 5 year anniversary of the round 1 share issue. How far we have come since then. Hopefully we start September off tomorrow with a bang. Announcement of the next crowdfunding round should be soon if it is still on for September.

29 Likes

Envious! But it did have an 8 year head start on Freetrade.

1 Like

eToroā€™s numbers are crazy - I actually had to exclude them from parts of my FT model because itā€™s so weird e.g. most peers make 20-60bps in revenue on AUA, eToro makes over 1000bps! (mostly crypto)

On users though itā€™s worth noting eToro funded accounts are about 1/10th of registered users. Obviously the registered user count it still comparable because thatā€™s what we are counting here but they seem to have a weirdly low conversion rate.

8 Likes

I stopped using my etoro account some time ago and have no money in it. Freetrade is my main account now

13 Likes

Etoro Q2 revenues were over $350m, or $1.4bn on an annualised level.

EToro is going public with a valuation of $10.4bn, or 7.4x the Revenues (Robinhod is valued at around 20.0x revenues)

1 Like

My last time using etoro was doing a cheeky GBP/EUR forex trade on brexit referendum night. That did not go well.

14 Likes

I like my Etoro but much prefer FT as an app. Not that I have withdrawn from it yet but the withdrawal fee is a big downer compared to Freetrade. TBF they operate in 140 countries and have 20 million customers while sponsoring many Premier league teams where FT is in one country and sponsor Geordieboy on social media :joy:

With that in mind I think FTā€™s numbers are pretty darn good and will eclipse Etoro when it expands to the EU.

1 Like

:eyes:

Yes, Iā€™m back from holidays now but a haircut wasnā€™t what Iā€™d planned to add to my to do listā€¦

13 Likes