How many users now?

Robinhood also has multiple avenues of monetisation that likely means on average they make more per customer than FT by a decent amount at present.

When we start seeing how many people are taking up plus accounts you’ll be able to get more idea about how much of an increase it has on revenue per customer.

1 Like

What makes you think that?

While is US is about half the population of Europe, its one market, one language and has a higher household participation in the stock market than most European countries.

This will never happen without European expansion which is not a priority any longer based on the most recent roadmap update.

1 Like

Friend signed up Friday evening
 number 24183x

3 Likes

Friend signed up on Thursday #240,xxx

2 Likes

Are we able to see user number for Plus subscriptions? I would be interested in that.

2 Likes

So Friday was 241000 but weenie’s friend had 248000 on Monday? Put the confetti back in the cannon guys, false start. :joy::tada::tada:

Should be 250k by mid October.

3 Likes

Ignoring the anomaly it would appear about 600 users a day then.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, do you mean Freetrade will never have the same amount of users as Robinhood at the same time as Robinhood? Or do you think Freetrade will never get to 10m users?

As an investor in Freetrade, I find this topic very interesting.

Around 55% (110m) of the US adult population owns shares, which is certainly impressive.

Europe and the rest of the world is more effort to find statistics on, but I found a few (do you have a good source?).

• 33% (~17m adults) of Brits own shares (source)
  • 14.7% (~10m adults) of Germans own shares (source)
  • 18% (~9m adults) of French people hold a PEA or a securities account (source)
  • 15% (~2m) of the Dutch won shares (source)
  • 45% (~22m adults) Italians invest in stocks and bonds (source)
  • 37% (6.9m) Australians invest on a securities exchanges (source)

I picked these countries because they either are already named Freetrade expansion targets, or should be (ignoring the fact Freetrade have said “rest of Europe” before). In Australia, for example, share trading is expensive and Stake (as a similar company) is not great (forced to hold USD, extra fees, can only invest in US shares, not ASX, LSE, etc.).

While the EU is a single market in many ways, I totally agree that these are different countries that will need different approaches. I don’t think that language is a big barrier for an app (the Freetrade app already has lots of European translations hidden inside it), but all the acompanying marketing, education, etc. will be more challenging than just English. Different account types and regulations too.

The education piece is important. In researching the above numbers, a common theme of those articles was to continue the sentence by saying “X% invest in shares
 but don’t know wtf they’re doing” (maybe they used different words). I think a lot of people, millenials especially, feel like stock markets aren’t for them, they’re scared of it, have heard horror stories, don’t know what they’re doing, and therefore stay away. Companies like Freetrade are aiming to change that. This will open up a lot of opportunity. Robinhood has already done that quite a bit in the US.

There are almost twice as many adults in the EU compared to the US. I think that with the educational strategy, or just sheer numbers since the percentages aren’t that low in some countries, Freetrade will easily reach 10m users in the future. Not tomorrow, but in some years from now.

Back to my original clarification question. Will Freetrade ever have more users than Robinhood? I don’t know, but I think it’s certainly possible. The world is huge and Robinhood have failed multiple times at trying to expand outside of the US. They have a heap of capital and pre-existing tech, so I imagine they’ll succeed eventually, but in the meantime other players are getting established and this isn’t a winner takes all market by any means.

There is a question of whether Robinhood’s business model is sustainable in other countries with the UK, EU, Australia (and others?) banning payment for order flow (Robinhood’s primary revenue stream). To your point, the US market is huge, so it’s not like they’re going to suffer by focusing on their home market (unless the SEC continues to bother them). There’s still heaps of marketshare to take from incumbents there.

Meanwhile, Freetrade are moving forward and growing. They’re still in their infancy but the future still looks positive. The raw number of users is not a good metric, of course, but it’s the best one we have between raises or other company announcements. All the good metrics (active users, funds under management, Plus subscriptions, user behaviour, churn, customer acquisition costs) are internal. I still think the future looks good, and that they’ll get to 10m users eventually. Honestly, I don’t think they have to defeat Robinhood to win. I’m not sure basing valuations off their user numbers is a good comparison either. Startups are really hard to value, though, and I know the Freetrade valuation is indeed based off comparisons to similar-ish companies like Monzo.

Anyway, that’s my brain dump on the topic :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Yeah that was weird. I’ve deleted that one from the graph as it doesn’t make sense and the two recent numbers align with the daily growth better.

1 Like

Not sure this is the case, if you look at the roadmap, “rolling out Freetrade to Europe” is back in the “things we’re working on” section

Probably was moved back to avoid noise :slight_smile: it’s also last in the list so certainly not a priority which is sad.

How naive. Re-read and It was number of users that they added this year. Indeed it is 1b per million users roughly landing in 300m zone for FT. Yes.

I think European expansion is a key and need to move quickly in those arena once the platform is proven to scale up and perform.

1 Like

Bear in mind RH decided not to launch in the UK, I think given the regulation the value per user is likely considerably lower.

Also RH makes disproportionately more money from derivatives which FT won’t offer.

So sorry about that! :woozy_face: Here’s what I got from him (his free share was Dominoes)

5 Likes

There will also be nothing stopping Freetrade launching in the USA/Canada when the time is right.

2 Likes

Looks like the 12th October “Birthday Bomber” is still on like donkey kong :rofl:

1 Like

Mate signed up Sept 24th 2411**

12 Likes