How many users now?

That seems like a big jump, circa 1000 a day since last update :raised_hands:

9 Likes

Indeedā€¦wonder what has caused the jumpā€¦

Probably the turbulences in the market due to the second lockdown

:fire::fire::fire: Looks like we have already smashed through the 250K ceiling. Bomber jackets all round I say. Well done FT team, absolutely smashing it :boxing_glove::rocket:

15 Likes

Well I got an email from NS&I informing me that they are destroying the interest rates on their accounts, if other institutions are following the same then maybe people are thinking now is the time to finally put their money to work.

I cashed in my premium bonds and bought GGP and my boys money is in an NS&I junior ISA and if Freetrade had a JISA I would move his money over asap.

8 Likes

Hereā€™s an updated graph. It now shows up to 400k users and to May next year.

18 Likes

Great work zac. Did there used to be a graph that had the user numbers plotted against the last raise expectations? Iā€™ve been following this thread that long I canā€™t remember if Iā€™ve seen that for this years raise or last :joy:

I think it used to have something from round 5. Iā€™ve just included the 2020 estimate and 2021-2023 projections from round 6.

Itā€™s worth noting that these are projections of active users, while the graph is tracking total users. The round 6 pitch deck does show monthly active users, but not yearly active users, which I think is what is being projected on slide 17.

Morale of that story is that I would expect the total user line to need to go [well] above the blue dots.

3 Likes

Ahh thatā€™s right, active users in the pitch. Thatā€™s great zac :wink:

Hereā€™s one more zoomed back in and adjusted a little. Itā€™s interesting looking from this far out, the little bumps in growth are really smoothed out.

6 Likes

IPO by 2025? :thinking: lol

2 Likes

Based on user numbers, does anyone know when FT smashed the 250K ceiling? Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday? I am asking to keep correct data records. Thanks! :wink:

1 Like

Back of envelope valuation question. Assuming 11b valuation for 3 million total users of Robinhood, can we assume rough valuation of FT to be 1b when it reaches 300k users?

I believe that will mean almost 5-6X times value of each share from the valuation in last crowdfunding round.

Not to say that there is a right or wrong way to value startups, but iā€™d caution against valuing them just by users like that, itā€™s simply not that simple. ā€˜Usersā€™ is a vanity metric: itā€™s just the number of people that have downloaded the app and may not even use it again after that. Active users is a better number to go by, but even then I think the revenue, growth, etc are far more important when valuing a startup at this stage.

Back to the point though, Robinhood made $60m in 2019 whereas Freetrade made <$1m. They are on completely different scales. I too believe Freetrade will prove to be a success, but there is a looong way to go before a 1bn valuation imo, a 1bn valuation just for hitting 300k users - when revenue, etc is still very small- would seem a ridiculous overvaluation to me.

9 Likes

Unsure where you got 11b val and 3 million users from @Blackhawk . As of june they have circa 10m users and their last round was at $11.2b. Iā€™d ballpark Freetrade to be worth circa Ā£300m at 300k users.

1 Like

Roughly 1k a user would land you in ball park territory i think. When SIPPS are launched then youā€™d feel at 300k users and a valuation of 300million would be definately about right.

2 Likes

We had ~200K users at the last crowdfunding, not sure how a 50% increase in users adds up to 5-6X valuation

Iā€™d love Freetrade to become a multi Billion Ā£ company, but that sounds like wishful thinking to me.

6 Likes

But future potential is taken into consideration and free trade will never reach the same numbers as robinhood

My opinionā€™s not worth much I guess :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Its all roughly roughly. But if you take freetrade valuation and divide by users youā€™ll see its 900 to 1k thereabouts the last few crowdfunds.

I thougt i read that ft use 25% of their valuation is based on no. Of users but I could be wrong there