How many users now?

I think Freetrade would struggle financially to do this. Given that the number of trades per year, and therefore the nominal value of those trades, is not capped, Freetrade could be giving away hundreds of pounds per annum per customer. Whilst this revenue would non longer be coming in, the costs of the FX transactions for Freetrade would still exist meaning every time a person trades Freetrade would lose money.

I believe Adam has actually posted something similar in the past to what I have written above and it is hard to fault his logic.

As an investor I would be happy for Freetrade to reduce the FX rate, it if is proven to result in more trading and therefore greater revenues, but I would not be keen to see the FX rate lowered to zero.

8 Likes

Yea 0% was a big stretch I guess but lowering it a certain amount for plus users I’d expect the plus membership cost to offset the revenue difference. Though I’m not sure how big the larger accounts on FT are but someone making £10,000 worth of US stock buys in a year would only be paying £45 in FX fees and the plus membership costs £120 or £84 (not inc ISA). If they lowered it for plus users but to a level where they still make a fair profit from the transactions it could be a good move.

2 Likes

I think £45/year on FX is a reasonable estimate at half an ISA allowance (assuming just buy and hold) but really it’s £90 / year considering you have to sell at some point.

I think that’s enough to put a lot of people off Freetrade. So my view is it would be it’s better to try and make FT+ more appealing and hope to make some money from those people than get 0 if they just choose another platform.

3 Likes

Yea I agree that adding actual features to plus is the real goal for increasing uptake and the value of the subscription. I was just thinking of immediate options that they could implement to add extra value at launch, because in its present state I have seen very few people thinking it’s good value. Although this community obviously does not represent the entire user base.

I disagree. There isn’t sufficient evidence of effective growth hacking. In particular, the free share referral process is still clunky.

3 Likes

Is anybody able to provide an update on new user sign-up?

It would be good to get a baseline on the latest number before the role out of the new Freetrade advert goes live tomorrow.

I’m hoping the new Freetrade advert will trigger a positive uptick in the new user signup rate.

8 Likes

That’s a great point. Anyone with new numbers?

1 Like

Hi All, am also trying to get a handle on user numbers now? We must be at the cusp of 250k…

3 Likes

You heard it here first :dart::white_check_mark::fire:

3 Likes

Just saw my first Freetrade ad!

20 Likes

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Got someone to sign up 248,2XX, I think it was Friday night/early sat morning (9th/10th Oct).

16 Likes

Well, it’s now got to be over 250,000. Can someone not sign their dog up so we can at least see for oursevles?

I see the recent blog post from Freetrade:

“That decision, along with our move to adopt the then-beta Cloud Firestore as our database of choice, have proven themselves over and over The platform now supports over 250,000 users - an almost five-fold increase compared to when we started building Invest. But, as with any project built to scale, it has not been without its problems.”

So, well done Freetrade :partying_face:

17 Likes

Friend literally just signed up #2500XX

35 Likes

Man’s best friend? :dog:

5 Likes

:champagne::champagne::champagne: Congrats FT team :clap:t3: Keeping the :hiking_boot: hard to the floor :facepunch:t3:

7 Likes

Does the dog get the bomber jacket?

6 Likes

Based on our numbers:

:white_check_mark: From 0 to 50K :arrow_right: 324 days
:white_check_mark: From 50K to 100K :arrow_right: 173 days
:white_check_mark: From 100K to 150K :arrow_right: 81 days
:white_check_mark: From 150K to 200K :arrow_right: 71 days
:white_check_mark: From 200K to 250K :arrow_right: 96 days

It is time for Ads to do their job! :wink:

20 Likes

Hopefully we start seeing 700+ sign ups a day again soon!

Any dates for 300, 000 user number to reach ?