Market volatility, $GME and $AMC

really?!

3 Likes

Wow apparently the CEO of Interactive Brokers (intermediary for T212) said he won’t allow buys ‘until the market goes back to normal’. Crazy.

4 Likes

who would have thought?!

What difference does it make?

even the speculation doesn’t logically follow 1, 2 or 3.

how come?

courtes of @EuanG

could this really be?!

How surprising that would be. I wouldn’t believe it even if I saw it with my own eyes

1 Like

That’s not right. Robinhood sells payment for order flow to Citadel. They are not owned by them.

5 Likes

Not true

1 Like

Anyone know why gamestop spiked around 2pm ET? $490?

1 Like

yes. they are just one of the market makers that buys and pays for Robinhood’s order flow

1 Like

But in many ways
 they clearly do own them. Wonder what % of RH income comes from Citadel
 I suspect an alarmingly high amount.

5 Likes

I’d say the statement is factually incorrect in that they aren’t specifically owned by citadel, but is anecdotally correct (with others) given payment for order flow can make up to 55% of robinhood total yearly revenue!

4 Likes

Hedge Funds had to cover some shorts apparently. Someone said it was ~2%.

And GME has short interest of 125%

I’m sure you can do the maths :sob:

2 Likes

A stop loss of mine went through at the close ($200).

1 Like

Me too :+1:

1 Like

Same happened to me yesterday

The market makers are pulling out all the dirty tricks at the moment. Apparently, they pay brokers for the data to see where the stop losses are and then trade amongst themselves with enough volume to lower the price to trigger the stop-loss.

They then buy those (relatively cheap) shares and keep them to close out their short positions. So the price goes right back up.

4 Likes

I just want to say a big thank you to Freetrade for allowing us to still invest

9 Likes

2 Likes

@Freetrade_Team

Hi Sam, I have seen 10’s of comments on reddit from people saying that they couldn’t execute their trades today. Could you confirm what the cause of this was i.e. the exchange’s circuit breaker or too much traffic on Freetrade’s platform?

It may be worth having pop-ups in app to say why services are not functioning as many users will be disgruntled and will likely never find out what the reason was.

Thread link, FYI: Anyone else unable to buy? : FreetradeApp

2 Likes