Megathread - Crowdfunding

When I checked out the Baanx pitch earlier today it had the shortest video pitch I have seen for a crowdfunding company and no pitch deck.

Iā€™m not sure how they expect anyone to invest with such little information on their company.

Iā€™m definitely not touching this one.

Chunky Update

Breaking news: So my hunch was right! Cowboy, the belgian e-bike startup backed by Index ventures is going to be crowdfunding on Crowdcube. Index are one of the best venture firms in the world, known for backing Facebook, JustEat and Skype, amongst other knockout venture bets. Pre-register here.

Head to the bottom of this post for an, in my opinion, equally exciting rumourā€¦

Private campaigns

:female_detective: :lock:

Capital rise - the property investment fintech, is crowdfunding through a pre-emption campaign here.

Feral horses - the platform that enables investment into artwork, such as banksyā€™s, is crowdfunding through a pre-emption campaign here

Hop Vietnamese - a startup oriental restsaurant chain, is crowdfunding here

Coming soon

:clock1: :star_struck:

Allplants - A vegan meal delivery startup backed by Octopus ventures. Indications suggest theyā€™ll be crowdfunding with crowdcube, after all.

Handbag Clinic - A startup mending handbags in the pursuit of sustainable fashion, will be crowdfunding soon.

Farmdrop - Challenger Supermarket backed by Atomico. pre-register here

The british journal of photography - A photography business and collective founded in 1854, now monetising their members through competitions. Get the scoop here.

The Small Robot Company - A startup creating robots that farm. Will do a Ā£1m round on Crowdcube, having raised this amount one year ago. Previously mentioned here, they have now released their pitch deck here.

Also coming soon: Drinkly, an alcohol deliver startup backed by Brewdogā€™s founder (pre-register here), Cashmere a p2p clothing rental app (pre-register here) and Hubris One a crypto startup (pre-register here)

Rumours

:speaking_head: :mag_right: :eyes: :ear: :newspaper_roll:

Zego - An insurance fintech backed by Balderton Capital; may well be crowdfunding. Key indicators being that Balderton are mutual shareholders in Crowdcube and Zego, and Crowdcube are running a networking event with Zego in Decemberā€¦

Stepladder - A fintech enabling home buyers to save for a deposit through a novel investment product. See why Seedcamp backed them here.

Real Handful - a vegetarian snack startup, may be crowdfunding soon. Check out their website.

News

• Crowdcube have launched an ā€˜export portfolio as a spreadsheetā€™ feature, check it out at the top of your portfolio:

• Seedrs are building an app, and are currently running user testing sessions

• Seedrs have launched their ā€˜pre-emption clubā€™, a monthly publication of all their live pre-emption campaigns

Replies

From an investor PoV iā€™m not too bothered by the drag along clause, there will always be investors screwing over other investors - I just view it as a counterparty risk almost. Do you know what bothers me the most about Bnext though?

itā€™s that they present themselves as customer centric and pull this sh*t. Just be honest? Everyone wants to be like Monzo except when it actually matters, it seems.

At a glance, overvalued if youā€™re asking me. If i remember rightly, theyā€™ve achieved ~400k EUR in revenue, and have 350k users to get to a 42m valuation. Plum had 600k users and similar revenue I believe, but their valuation was Ā£15m, a VC validated valuation might I add. Doesnā€™t mean oval wonā€™t be a bagger, but thereā€™s a material risk of overpaying here imo.

will try to reply to everyone, taking a break for now!

36 Likes

@anon1435622 these posts are great.

It would be very interesting if you added a ā€œwhy you would [invest]ā€ and ā€œwhy you wouldnā€™tā€ line for each item. More work I know :grimacing:

6 Likes

Small reminder that today is the deadline for the cooling off period, for anyone that is unhappy with any of the clauses.

Also BNEXT have said this in the discussions

As suspected they knew this when the email was sent out.

This is crazy as well:

Even if this is the case, thereā€™s nothing stopping BNEXT from sharing the extra details. So as @anon1435622 said

7 Likes

Small Robot Company live on Crowdcube

4 Likes

Just seen a brewdog in one of Dublinā€™s nicest areas. Near google an area @Viktor knows. Also been informed firsthand they have a spot in Riga. Revolut-esque growth :joy:

2 Likes

Brewdog is massive. They have pubs in Australia and even a brewery in the US. You can buy their flagship beers in most continental supermarkets in europe as well.

2 Likes

Ye an American today told me about their US operations as well as Riga. I omitted that. Iā€™ve been to one in clapham but it was a Sunday (technically a Monday) at 1am a day after the World Cup final (football) so I canā€™t really make a judgement

Fair play to those invested! Good luck

Tell me more about Riga!

You can still invest in Brewdog in their website, Ā£25 a share though.

Any investors in Monzo or Revolut in the community? Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on when the next funding rounds may be announced or the potential valuations and round size? Potential returns from these two now very large given it was a few years ago when they undertook their first crowdfunding rounds and I know previously Revolut offered the option to investors to liquidate returns.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not seen any news from Monzo. I would expect one more from Monzo before IPO though.

1 Like

I have to admit Iā€™m dubious about these supposed multi billion dollar companies where that valuation has basically been pushed up there by round after round of funding, yet who still make a loss

At some point they need to stop burning cash and start piling it up.

Theyā€™ll most likely get there in the end, I just donā€™t like the idea of investing at such a high valuation when losses are still increasing

3 Likes

I disagree. Many companies could run a profit but decide to focus on growth. Amazon did not make a profit for years after floating. Neither did Facebook

3 Likes

Looking at a graph Amazon has only made a loss in 6 quarters out of the last 40. Sure they focus on growth and donā€™t make huge profits, but they arenā€™t burning cash like itā€™s going out of fashion

and their valuation only really skyrocketed after they started making regular profits

Facebook has been profitable every year since it floated

3 Likes

Itā€™s my opinion that a revolut fundraising round is imminent.
There have been some interesting filings on companies house.
Also they were marked as ineligible for the seeds secondary market this month. This is usually only done when a company is raising imminently and is the first time I remember revolut being ineligible. They are close to 10million users. Maybe they announce new fundraising along with hitting 10m milestone.

Their growth has been impressive. I remember reading at the time of their last raise that the aim was 100m customers in five years, at the time they had 2m and it sounded outlandish to me, but they are well on their way.

Iā€™m trying to buy shares in draper esprit since they invested ~10m in revolut at last round and I dont think current value is reflected in draper esprit NAV. I expect a valuation $7-9bn

5 Likes

The social capital guy Chamath Palihappitiya talks about a VC bubble with 'ponzi schemeā€™s like practices where the aim is growth at all costs and ideally accelerating growth to justify higher valuations to make the invested VC look good when a company raises further allowing the initial VC to raise more funds and increase AUM and increase fees.

2 Likes

I think the growth at all costs approach end up with situations like Uber and Lyft, where valuation has been pumped sky high but itā€™s not clear theyā€™ll ever be profitable

Oh, and WeWork is the obvious mega failure :laughing:

5 Likes

Iā€™d agree with this as the evidence is stacking up and there has been a lot of media coverage about a potential round - especially with it being over 18 months since they last raised.

Interestingly, there was a lot of talk about them raising a large round from Softbank, however Iā€™m not sure if the WeWork situation may have changed things.

I think (hope!) the valuation will be towards the higher end of your range.

Wow thank you for sharing this. First time I heard him speak. He seems really impressive and knowledgeable. Him & Jeffrey Gunlach are now my 2 favourite ppl. Oh and Sven Henrich.

1 Like