Megathread - šŸ”„ Dividend Fest šŸ”„

And I also use this to keep track. This is how much each company has paid me relative to my initial investment. If I see one stock which had paid me nicely relative to my initial investment, then I will pump dividends into that specific stock to knock it back down. Itā€™s a good way of rewarding the stocks that reward you :smiley:

They all add up. My first one was Ā£7.21. Created a spreadsheet/graph to keep track now

Creating a website to share the information at the moment

3 Likes

Wow really nice results! How much is your portfolio worth if you donā€™t mind me asking? Your current results are pretty much my long term goal

Iā€™d love to get dividends every month and build stakes. Did it take a lot of researching to find the pay day dates for companies?

1 Like

My invested amount is Ā£800, but the portfolio is worth Ā£787 at the moment. Iā€™m adding Ā£50 a month to grow it nice and steadily. Itā€™s what I can afford easily. For me, thatā€™s what I call ā€œTreats moneyā€. Itā€™s not for bills, rent, car repairs, groceries. Thatā€™s the bit of spare money thatā€™s for cinema and food out, or something.

3 Likes

I follow the Motley Fool articles that pop up on my news feed on google, and any other article that looks to be well written with some thought behind it. I have no idea how google knows or how to set up a news feed, it just does it on my tablet! But the Fool articles seem to make sense to me. Then I follow my own ā€œrulesā€ about which stocks to look into more closely. My own preferences are for UK stocks, not over Ā£20-Ā£30 per share, and with a dividend yield over 3 or 4% as a minimum.
If they fit those criteria, then Iā€™ll look at how theyā€™ve been performing via the FT app, and I might watch them for a while before I make my mind up.
If they get bought, I use Dividend Max to work out the estimated dividend I might expect. I think you can sign up to something on there, but I just put the code thing in and have a look at the Ex date and payout. The Ex date is the date on which you must own the stock to get the money, but it might be weeks or months after that the dividend is paid. You can buy it on the day, and sell the day after if thatā€™s what youā€™re into (but best not if itā€™s a good payer!)
I am planning on monitoring the dividend yield monthly, as that will change according to the stock price. If that drops below my threshold, then itā€™s time to consider selling and finding a better one for that spot. At the moment I have about 20 different ones, and 4 are ETF funds - they might not be the best paying, but they are more stable in terms of their share price. For me, those are the ones staying green and not dipping into the red.
Itā€™s also worth having a look in the forums on here to see what people are saying.
But, and this is a HUGE one, please bear in mind that people on the internet are NOT offering financial advice, they are offering their own opinions.

1 Like

Little over Ā£300k - although not all in Dividend Paying stocks - I do have about a third of the portfolio in Tesla and Palantir. Plan for the next 10 years is to get most of the money inside and ISA and generate Ā£1000 per month in dividends tax free. Mistake I made was buying Tesla outside of the ISA - Invested Ā£1700 and now its worth Ā£52000 - same with Reach (currently Ā£50000) - its going to take me a few years to sell and move across to avoid paying Capital Gains Tax. Feb on the graphs is the Tesco dividend - BCPT is good for the monthly Dividend - usually about Ā£100 per month

1 Like

Yeah I read the fool as well. Then tend to read forums that re mentioned on the fool too. Iv not started with ETFs yet. Iv only got small holding so far. Just over 1500. Started in June and just keep growing each month. Iā€™m only interested in dividends stock really. Just want to get organised so something pays each month. All of my stocks are under Ā£5 each. Aviva, Taylor wimpey, llolyds, BT, greencoat wind. Have been growing these each time they dropped below my average so all green currentlyā€¦but wonā€™t last Iā€™m sure ha.

My goal is to get to Ā£400 per month (averaged over the year) eventually, then upwards from there. Iā€™ll need the invested total to be Ā£10,000 with dividends averaging 5% for that to happen. Slowly but surely, step by step.

1 Like

I donā€™t have Lloyds, but I do have the others. I started trying to be mostly green, but kinda wandered off track a bit.
These are the ones I hold at the moment. (Name, number of shares, the code thing)

ETF
Vanguard FTSE 100 Divs 3 Ā£VUKE
Ishares High Div 10 Ā£IUKD
IShares FTSE 100 Lg Cap 5 Ā£ISF
Shares
GSK 4 Ā£GSK
Admiral 2 Ā£ADM
Persimmon 2 Ā£PSN
M & G 28 Ā£MNG
Royal Mail 10 Ā£RMG
Drax 8 Ā£DRX
National Grid 4 Ā£NG
Direct Line 10 Ā£DLG
Renewables Infra 20 Ā£TRIG
Foresight Solar 25 Ā£FSFL
United Utilities 2 Ā£UU
NextEnergy Solar 20 Ā£NESF
Taylor Wimpey 10 Ā£TW
Legal & General 5 Ā£LGEN
Tesco 5 Ā£TSCO
Greencoat 10 Ā£UKW
BT 3 Ā£BT
Barratt 1 Ā£BDEV
2 Likes

You also have a lot that are on my watchlist already too ha. I keep debating Sainsburyā€™s and Tesco too to add to my list but not took the plunge yet

I tend to start with a few shares, maybe 1 or 2, (5 if theyā€™re really cheap) and see how they feel over a few weeks before getting some more if I like them.
Tesco is still on my ā€œDo I keep it?ā€ list. With a dividend yield of 3.24% itā€™s at the bottom edge of my threshold, Iā€™d rather have something of 4% or more that stays steady. But I know people who work(ed) for them, and itā€™s my preferred shopping spot, so it can stay for now.

1 Like

Oh, the other thing I do is that ALL research is done at the weekend, or after hours in the evening, so I canā€™t make an impulse buy. I have to look at it, think about it, sleep on it, then decide in the morning.

1 Like

Would it not be an invested total of Ā£100000 ( unless Iā€™ve misunderstood your post )

1 Like

BCPT and PBA - both payt monthly dividends and are both approx 5%

1 Like

yes, Youā€™re rightā€¦ the 10k was for Ā£400 over a year not per month.

1 Like

If you are not squeamish about tobacco imperial pay a nice dividend quarterly. Plus diversified energy and Evraz steel good dividends.

Or you can just wait for a GIF filled nonsense thread from yours truly that drops every Tuesday :sauropod:

7 Likes

I decided at the beginning of my investment journey that receiving dividends is not the way I wanted to grow my pot. I look at stock in a more holistic ā€œtotal returnā€ way.

One of the first companies that I worked for paid a handsome dividend (it still does). But it troubled me a great deal that the company paid out this dividend. Why did the company not reinvest the dividend? It was basically saying it could not think of anything better to do with the money. As I went down this path to understand why companies really paid dividends I quickly discovered that dividends are not necessarily the sign of a healthy company. Moreover, I would not have a diversified portfolio if I based stock picks merely on the basis of dividends.

The problem is that some investors consider dividends to a be proxy for a well run company: but as I said before dividends are not necessarily the sign of a healthy company. Also couple that thought with the fact that some companies borrow money to pay dividends (!) Finally realise that a dividend cut will result in the share price collapsing.

It makes sense for some companies to pay a dividend: they really canā€™t do anything with the money e.g. I have a mine and I sell gold ā€¦ I canā€™t do anything useful with my profits [exploring for new gold and building new mines is an expensive business etc etc] so I give the profits back to the owner. So I am not suggesting that you donā€™t chose dividend stocks. Rather that should not really be the central reason for choosing a stock: understand the nature of the company and dividend.

4 Likes

No tobacco, not for me.