MEGATHREAD: Free Share updates and feedback šŸŽŸ

Like others, Iā€™ve also actually spoken to the people Iā€™ve referred. Itā€™s an interesting dynamic when you only have one referral link to potentially waste. You actually want to convince the person that Freetrade is as good as we know it is. Iā€™m sure some are still going to take the free share and run, but I can also see this approach leading to more active referees. It reminds me of the golden ticket stuff Monzo did.

Since you can have one person signing up while you get another referral link, I think itā€™s still important to handle that nicely in the UI. Right now it just blows away any ability to track the first person. If they were all listed in the profile section, instead of just the latest one, that would help. But I think they would need something more on them, like a referral date or something to differentiate them.

Another thing would be to have the referral form stop working for that link after one person puts in an email address. Thatā€™d probably solve some of the problems being mentioned here.

When you use it properly, one person at a time, it seems really smooth and painless.

P.s. In case the referral-link god is reading, Iā€™m ready for another link :wink:

8 Likes

Wimbledon styleā€¦ New links please. :slight_smile:

When is the big revelation? Or perhaps an insight into Freetrades stock picks. :wink:

But I think they would need something more on them, like a referral date or something to differentiate them.

Actually, Iā€™m no designer, but even a little coloured circle would be cool. Then Iā€™d know I gave the purple one to James and the orange one to Billy, or whatever my imaginary friends are named. Especially cool if the colour lined up in their app too somewhere.

2 Likes

Colour alone would be poor accessibility wise for those with any visual impairments

1 Like

Do you look at the app on 2 devices? I had this for a week because Iā€™d read the notification on one phone, which removed the dot but it didnā€™t clear on the other

Same here. And just found out that one of my referred people opened his account with Ā£1k, so a new happy Freetrade customer! :smile:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a really good point and probably why Iā€™m not a designer :joy:

How about an emoji? I gave you the :fire: referral and that other person got the :eggplant: referral.

4 Likes

I wonder what the mystery shares will be?!
Will the investor who sent the link get a good share or will the new person get a amazing one to keep them? Or will we all get a Ā£3 share!!! Is it random or is it already decided! Oewwwwwww!
We find out soon
:grimacing:

From whatā€™s been shared itā€™s random, but weighted so there is a lower chance of getting the highest valued stock. We donā€™t know what the weighting is right now.

Itā€™s plausible that only a few people will ever get the highest valued stock to make it viable. Hopefully the people that get the highest valued stock will share as itā€™ll be good promotion for the scheme, since there is nothing stopping you being lucky.

6 Likes

We are looking to improve both of these issues. Your feedback is very helpful, thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

I agree. The current referral scheme seems to be working well and does prevent spamming codes. Each of my three referrals have all been done with me on their shoulder and have required me to answer a number of questions re the app and investing in general.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I am sure some people will just cash out :moneybag:ā€¦but this scheme will definitely gain traction with potential customers and ultimately convert the non investing rabble! :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

The banner displayed on the Portfolio screen that says ā€œYouā€™ve earned your free shareā€ is really wonderful!
@jani could you please share how this was implemented technically? Are you using a third-party tool or is this sent directly from your BE?
Iā€™m looking into ways to build this for the product Iā€™m working on.

Cheers

Iā€™ve found this disconnect really interesting. For me at least this kind of link Iā€™m happy to post on social media so that friends see it and can use if they want, but unhappy to send to friends directly in private messages (feels too spammy).

I had a conversation with a personal friend this weekend in fact about freetrade and recommended the app, but to me it would feel really weird to then slide in to mentioning a referral link, it could leave both of us wondering if I had an ulterior motive for bringing it up and wasnā€™t entirely genuine.

Itā€™s also more awkward to manage multiple links as others have pointed out. Iā€™d prefer just a cap on users referred or perhaps switch to low value shares only if a user overshares rather than manually managing different links and having to worry about whether it is used or not. What happens currently if a user signs up with an already used link? It would be strange given the wording on the referral page if they get nothing.

It is great to see this scheme happening though, and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll end up with something everyone is happy with in the end - I love that it shows people how easy it is to own shares and use freetrade, rather than just giving away money.

1 Like

@Viktor letā€™s smash out the next lot of links! :calling::money_with_wings::man_dancing:

1 Like

Very interesting. To me, itā€™s the opposite. Sharing the link widely feels spammy, while having a private conversation, and then changing the inherent inaction (ā€˜Iā€™ll get to it when I get to itā€™) with this incentive makes sense to me.

Some friends even ask for referral links when I talk about products and they have time to check them out. Probably in 2015, I was talking to a German friend about a well-known FX-focused fintech app :wink: , and she asked for my referral link to sign up.

4 Likes

Any idea when this feature might be coming to everyone? :slight_smile:

Itā€™s for crowdfunding investors only while we are fully testing it out. We didnā€™t set a timeline for rolling out yet, as we want to see how it works and optimise it first.

The copy I see is in the app which is:

Get one free share
Invite a friend to both get one free share! One time use so pick your friend well.

I get that this is a friendly way of describing it, but itā€™s not all that explicit as you may think it is. If thereā€™s potential for it to be misused then that needs to be called out as a warning such as on the following screen where you are given the button to send the invite.

It doesnā€™t state that the link cannot handle multiple people clicking it (ā€˜one time useā€™ is ambiguous, it could mean only one person can sign up with the link - which is not the case, as appears my issue), and only completing the process with the user that met all the requirements of the referral. That is what I would assume it should be able to handle. And if not, then being pretty loud about how it works and why it works that way in the referral process in the app would be useful.

I wouldnā€™t consider myself the average Joe (despite my name) with these kinds of things, I work with referral code issues in my own work every day.

Again, I realise and can appreciate it is beta. But these are specifics that affect the use of it considerably and it just ends up in frustration for me the user, and more people like me getting frustrated because it wasnā€™t a smooth process.

The help I was given in-app chat was I believe perhaps my referral was reset. But I missed out on potentially two previous signups due to the way it worked and I donā€™t feel it was communicated all that well. And they couldnā€™t be reconnected to be resolved. I just lost those opportunities.

Other than this niggle, I love Freetrade and hope bright things for the future! And thatā€™s why I did decide to invest in you guys :grinning:

I read ā€˜one time useā€™ to be as it says - to be used by one person just once.

Iā€™m not surprised that it doesnā€™t handle multiple people clicking on it as itā€™s not meant to be used that way.

Had the blurb said ā€˜share with your friendsā€™ (plural), then I would be disapointed if only one of them was able to get the friee share.

2 Likes