MEGATHREAD: Freetrade Plus :plus_:

I’ll maybe suggest redirecting plus discussions here MEGATHREAD: Freetrade Plus :plus_: - #620 by Jonny But id broadly agree with @CashCow Robinhood stayed away from the UK presumably because they couldn’t bring their model to the UK and be profitable (not to mention its business practices leading to the death of one person). 212 has its own unique business issues.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if SPACs weren’t available for non plus members at all as long as they are put on the platform fast.

That’s a relative bargain compared to Hargreaves Lansdown’s £11.95 per trade!

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I got this email yesterday. Half price trades for Black Friday, only ÂŁ4.95!

Regardless of whether you’re on Freetrade Basic or Plus, EVERY SINGLE DAY at Freetrade is better than AJ Bell’s one-day-a-year Black Friday special offer.

I really don’t know why they bothered. I can’t imagine it encourages thoughtful and careful investment decisions either, in fact it seems pretty reckless.

Have I mentioned how much I dislike AJ Bell based on my experience with them? I feel like I’ve not mentioned it before.

@Freetrade_Team Who’s head of marketing at Freetrade? They’ve got the rest of the afternoon to launch a “Every day is Black Friday with Freetrade” campaign!

13 Likes

I think Freetrade has two markets - 1) new (and young) investors likely to be using Trading212, Robinhood etc and 2) existing (and older) investors likely to be using legacy platforms like AJ Bell, Hargreaves Lansdown etc.

You’re right in saying that those in 1) may not think Freetrade is value for money but those in 2) will think Freetrade is cheap as chips (even with Plus). They will also likely make a real difference to Freetrade’s AUM, with transfers of large ISA and SIPP pots.

7 Likes

This is the first time I’m hearing it 
 that’s a lie sorry. You say it every day :joy:

3 Likes

Exactly, Weenie.

I really hope that Freetrade is working a way to keep both types of investors satisfied by investing more in premium resources for the second group and making more shares available for the first.

I particularly like the Freetrade team and its app, so I hope they find a good way to make all customer happy.

2 Likes

Indeed! :sweat_smile:

Well, in fact our main Black Friday campaign is still running until Monday night:

And we’re working on some other exciting things for next week, stay tuned!

10 Likes

Just wondering, still learning the new experience of Plus, why is there a section for Female CEOs?

What utility does that bring? Other than being mildly interesting

It’s mildly interesting.

I don’t know if there’s any research on notable differences in management though I imagine it would be an interesting research topic.

Another suggestion for Plus (sorry if already made): remove Apple Pay deposit limits.

9 Likes

Maybe they could change it to an annual limit. Say £5k per year? I think it’s only needed for “emergency” deposits (but £1k is fairly small relative to the ISA limits).

Every Apple Pay deposit costs freetrade at least 0.2%, probably a lot more as 0.2% is just the interchange and the acquirer adds margin on top. If the purpose of Plus is to help make money then this will do the opposite.

Ah so that’s the reason then. Well I wouldn’t mind having it increased or a monthly limit until they release faster deposits.

I wouldn’t mind this, though to be honest, the bank transfer is so fast now it basically doesn’t matter

There will be features which cost FT, it can’t all be stuff that’s free to run.
0.2% of £5k is £10
 one months worth of the subscription (assuming everyone maxes it out every year).

1 Like

Disagree. It can sometimes last a couple of hours which impacts entry point on an investment.

Obviously I try to keep cash free for those opportunities but not always possible.

That’s a Freetrade problem though isnt it, not a bank transfer problem. The transfer itself is via open banking payments, they’re near instantaneous.

Yep I think it is.

Other platforms have near instantaneous deposits.

1 Like

I have no issues with the way bank transfers work right now. I can transfer from Monzo in seconds and it appears quickly in FT.

1 Like