MEGATHREAD: Freetrade SIPP

I see Freetrade is now offering uncrystallised funds pension lump sum (UFPLS) withdrawals, so progress with developing the SIPP :+1:

5 Likes

Freetrade doing well with my transfer. Just one being held hostage my favourite line is, ā€œif we decide to transferā€ grrrrr itā€™s my pension!!!

Is there any plans for SIPP account only(without regular and ISA) to reduce the monthly fee?

1 Like

We used to have SIPP as an add on. What do you think the right price for a SIPP is?

The cost for us to provide a SIPP is linked more to the number of accounts than the amount in them, thatā€™s why we include it in the most expensive plan.

8 Likes

I think at the moment itā€™s to expensive if there was a junior isa attached to the plan it would me more appealing and someone whoā€™s opening a sipp with a small amount of money the monthly fee doesnā€™t make sense.

2 Likes

@My.financial.journey youā€™re definitely right that a JISA would be more appealing but I think that to say that Freetradeā€™s most expensive plan costs too much is unfair. Where else would you get unlimited free trades on your ISA, SIPP and GIA for Ā£12 a month?

5 Likes

I think the SIPP combined with the other products is excellent value. Paying annually keeps it economic and Iā€™m very happy with the service.

2 Likes

I think their point is that if you are putting Ā£50 per month into the SIPP then thatā€™s a high amount of fees to pay.

No denying what you get for your fee is excellent value but for someone just starting off there are cheaper options available.

3 Likes

Yes thatā€™s what I meant if Freetrade are wanting to attract the younger generation of investors maybe the monthly fee should be based on account balances maybe like a tier system if youā€™ve invested x amount then the fees would be higher than someone with someone letā€™s say account balance of under 5k

3 Likes

Iā€™ve long thought FT should have gone with a percentage-based model and/or some sort of cap on fees for those with the least.

But, in a way, I suppose it makes sense. If most customers have a relatively small pot ā€“ a flat fee probably makes more money for FT.

I wonā€™t complain too much ā€“ Iā€™m paying about 0.10% in proportional terms, so itā€™s good value for me.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair comment. I see what youā€™re saying. Could be some food for thought for Freetrade.

1 Like

Please please sort employer contributions

4 Likes

Only been waiting 3 years this coming Janā€¦

1 Like

Me tooā€¦

The latest proposals from government is for a portable pot that everything goes onto, like the Australian system (we should copy it, best in the world). Letā€™s build for that.

Attaching this moveable, at the age of 16, to your national insurance number seems like a simple system and avoids this whole ā€˜pension pot scavenger huntā€™.

From memory, employers pay national insurance monthly, so paying an agreed pension contribution this way shouldnā€™t be too ā€˜taxingā€™ :wink:

@adam Donā€™t suppose you fancy an old lockdown-style AMA, @acamp could filter the questions and would be like the old days. Iā€™d be interested to hear your thoughts on some of the new features from the Christmas List, how shifting to profitability changed the culture, thoughts on WeWork as a tenant, and how the whole fraction share cuffuffle unfolded ā€¦

2 Likes

Hey @NeilB always would love an AMA. Let me chat with the guys and see. It might be tight to do something this side of Christmas with something launching imminently and then holidays starting to kick in.

But definitely in the new year!

6 Likes

How are SIPP transfers these days? I had put off considering bringing my sipp back due to processing delays. The transfer incentive has me considering it

4 Likes

@acamp in should give you more than a day :sweat_smile: but wondered if anyone on your team has any insight on this?

1 Like

Ha!

A lot better place than they were. Should be smooth going. Please nudge me if anything crops up in the processes though.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good to know thanks

1 Like