MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊

It would be quite interesting if there were papers written to study how accurate (or probably not) these forecasts are. Best not to take these too seriously imo.

General comment, rather than something that is specifically about the company in the screenshot: It is easy to misinterpret these targets and IMO they are not helpful without an understanding of the wider context. See MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊 - #85 by bitflip.

1 Like

:joy:

Hopefully the latter.

The analyst estimates will be for BRK.A rather than BRK.B

@waszko @Max_R @markMurtagh : From time to time, the Stock Fundamentals Target data does not load. I think that this must be do with the third party provider(s) of the data and/or an implementation bug associated with the API to the provider(s). Is this bug on your Radar?

[incase it is an app issue: problem last seen on App version 3.9.31 (45036)]

2 Likes

Hey @bitflip, thanks for sharing !

Could you provide us with some examples of where the data doesn’t load ?
No bug is on our radar but we can check our data sources to make everything is ok.

@Big-g thanks for sharing !
It is indeed a bug and ratings for this stock should be ignored. We’re currently looking into a fix.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this @markMurtagh. When there are no analyst price targets we get this:

That is obviously expected behaviour.

But sometimes we get this:

or another example

or another example

I just picked those up randomly because people often talk about those stocks on the community forum. I randomly checked various US stocks and could not find any examples. So it seems that the issue is with some UK stocks (possibly a specific provider issue?)

All screen shots: App version 3.9.31 (45036)

2 Likes

I get this too “unable to load price targets”, and my app and my iOS are fully up to date

2 Likes

@bitflip @TheRaven Thanks for the examples. We’re currently looking into our third party providers.

What you’re seeing is the empty and error view, respectively. We try to provide fundamentals for as many instruments as we can. However, the fundamentals are indeed provided by a data provider.

We’ll look into these and keep you posted !

2 Likes

Ok thanks @markMurtagh. So to be clear - are you saying the ‘unable to load’ just means the data isn’t there? I understand the first screenshot - obviously not an error. I would have originally assumed if data was not available then the second (‘error’) screen would also just say the same thing.

I guess the difference is simply that in case 1 no analyst provides data (because it is for example a new stock). In case 2 analysts do provide data but Refinitiv doesn’t have access to them. Refintiv returns two different codes and that is what you handle. Is this understanding correct? If so perhaps a different message should be displayed in the second case so that users know there is no error on their side?

2 Likes

Hello @bitflip

Yes case 1 is not an error. If Refinitiv does not provide any data then we show this message.

Case 2 is our error message. It’s a message we show when something has gone wrong in the app or server side. For example if the app is unable to parse a response or the service we hit from the app is having issues.

We are aware of a currency conversion issue and are working on a fix. So you might be seeing this message more frequent than we’d hope.

Rest assured we’re on it and hopefully can get it resolved asap.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

We wanted to show you all a sneak peek of some work in progress related to dividend events :wink:

Some of you with eagle eyes may notice a little currency issue, that’s being worked on and will always display your local currency, which is mainly GBP.

Coming soon - watch this space for updates!

As always if you’ve got any feedback let us know

Don’t forget, capital at risk.

DividendEvent

27 Likes

Would be good to see full expected payment after ex dividend date

7 Likes

I was confused for a second. This doesn’t replace the nice dividend payment pop up? But is a new card for the ex div info?

In which case, I like this.

I would love if you were able to sneak in a small indicator on the main screen for stocks which have gone ex div, or something that indicates some corporate event.

It’s probably out of the scope of this update.

I feel like there must be an opportunity to provide at a glance info which is better than the competition.

HL for example provides a little indicator for ex div etc. but there must be a better way to give immediate info on the main screen that a stock has a new event that the user has not read or seen yet.

Like an unread message count on each stock :joy: and a this stock is ex div icon.

5 Likes

Absolutely brilliant addition to the app. Thankyou @freetrade

6 Likes

be good if it displayed total dividends received per stock and lifetime total perhaps on the insights tab - as well as by quarter

1 Like

Can we have an update on the “unable to load price targets” situation please @markMurtagh ? Still getting it and I’m on IOs version 3.9.37.

Thanks

1 Like

Yup - I agree it would be good to know if this going to be solved soon. There two separate issues here:

(1) The error message is user unfriendly. The users are left scratching their heads - is something wrong with their phones, the wifi, the app or what? Not only do users scratch their heads they are left worried that something they have control over is not working properly. The message should indicate that Freetrade are unable to provide the data.
(2) @markMurtagh references a currency issue. I am not sure why UK stocks are affected by this. But I guess this what they are fixing.

Having said all this @TheRaven - I am not really sure that Price targets are really that useful to most retail customers. The customer needs to look into the whole background of the target and even the era for which it is relevant. For example in macro situation 1 a reasonable target might be $X but with inflation affecting spending the revenue may go up or down and the target would be $Y. Unfortunately we don’t get to see which analysts have set what targets and we don’t have access to the report so we don’t really know whether the target is relevant anymore. I rarely look at targets - almost an after thought.

2 Likes

Hi @bitflip . Actually I don’t take a great deal of notice of price targets; as you will know they’re often set by brokers with ‘vested interests’ it seems to me.

Was just flagging it up really, as I’m doing some ‘housekeeping’ on my portfolio.

Tell you what would be very useful though, is a comparison showing which brokers are the most accurate when it comes to their forecasts.

Cheers

3 Likes

Feel like it should use the house style something more “Oh no! Something has gone wrong and our data is missing, sorry”

4 Likes

Totally agree.