Monks Investment Trust plc MNKS

This trust invests globally across diverse sectors, currently with a heavy emphasis on technology.

https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/monks-investment-trust/

Monks Investment Trust aims for long-term capital growth which takes priority over income. This is pursued through applying a patient approach to investment, principally from a differentiated, actively managed global equity portfolio containing a diversified range of growth stocks.

Top 10
1 Naspers 3.0%
2 Amazon.com 2.7%
3 Alibaba 2.6%
4 Alphabet 2.5%
5 Moody’s 1.9%
6 Meituan Dianping 1.9%
7 SoftBank Group 1.9%
8 Microsoft 1.9%
9 The Schiehallion Fund Limited 1.8%
10 Ryanair 1.7%

What are peoples thoughts on this trust?

1 Like

Exert:

Lastly the trust has invested in a handful of companies where the near-term demand appears bleak, but longer-term growth looks assured.

New holdings include online travel agency Booking Holdings and car sharing company Lyft, where the manager sees growth potential in the transportation-as-a-service market.

The trust has twice added to its holding in budget airline Ryanair (RYA) believing the company will take market share as other operators retrench.

New positions were added in sports apparel company Adidas and cosmetics firm Estee Lauder, both brands which the manager believes will endure the current challenges to emerge stronger.

Research group Stifel commented, ‘unlike Scottish Mortgage, which is also managed by Baillie Gifford, the Monks team take a broader and more diversified approach with over 100 stocks and the largest 10 holdings only account for c.21% of the portfolio. We think this portfolio provides a more balanced, global portfolio.

Can someone help. The official fee for this investment trust is 0.48% (https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/monks-investment-trust/) so why does Freetrade charge 0.72% plus 0.0514% transactions fees? The latter I’m not so fussed about but the difference between the official fee of 0.48 and freetrade’s 0.72% is considerable.

Cheers all

Hi,
I think Freetrade is just quoting the figures provided by Baillie Gifford in the Monks Key Information Document (KID). Here:
[https://documents.feprecisionplus.com/PRIIP/BAGI/PRP/BAIEPT_BE05_en-GB.pdf]

Freetrade are not applying these charges - Baillie Gifford will be taking their fees directly from the Monks Investment Trust itself.

1 Like

Thanks for quick response. I looked at their website where the figure quoted is different to the document you link to. Thanks for the help, I just wasn’t sure if Freetrade were adding their own fee to it.

Cheers

The documents don’t always provide the forward looking value, they’re usually referencing the fees for the previous year as an indicator of what it might look like going forward. They’re also only updated periodically, so the more recent published documents from BG will have up to date figures especially the yearly reports

1 Like

Transaction costs are the worst offenders in kid documents since you can’t calculate the cost of transactions that haven’t occurred, the number is almost entirely useless

1 Like

I kinda want to invest just so i can say ive got shares in the Monks Investment Trust.
I wonder if ill get afew free being a Monks myself?! :wink:

Looks interesting

From the same team that manages this Trust

1 Like

October update