Monzo and Ticketmaster breach

Interesting analysis of the Ticketmaster data breach and Monzoā€™s response. Perhaps more revealing is Ticketmasterā€™s denial of the issue until it became untenable to do otherwise. Glad that Monzo was proactive in protecting their customers, and itā€™s great to see this kind of transparency in the incident report ā€“ anti-fragile systems require transparency when things go wrong.

Iā€™m sure they are using it as a marketing attempt, too - and rightly so!

5 Likes

Agreed!

Definitely, they are getting some good PR out of this (BBC amongst others). Itā€™s well-deserved in my view, too: they did something outstanding, and now itā€™s time to tell the world about it. Monzo ā€˜getsā€™ this paradigm.

6 Likes

Yeah, they did well (helped that they werenā€™t fault), nicely ā€œusers firstā€. By contrast Ticketmaster and InBenta are PR-first, and look like theyā€™re just pointing the finger at each other. Which doesnā€™t look as good.

2 Likes

I like this expression. A lot of companies tend to be PR-first.

2 Likes

Actually Iā€™m not sure that PR-first is it. I guess it is more that when organisations arenā€™t users-first, these days itā€™s an increasingly bad look. As a clever man put it: ā€œDigital: Applying the culture, practices, processes & technologies of the Internet-era to respond to peopleā€™s raised expectationsā€ https://twitter.com/tomskitomski/status/729974444794494976 . And I think that orgs like Monzo, Freetrade are successfully responding to peopleā€™s raised expectations. :+1:

2 Likes

Another one from Monzo, theyā€™re efficient at relaying what they know:

We were notified at 4.55pm this afternoon that Typeform, a company weā€™ve used to collect survey results in the past, has suffered a data breach.

This data breach has not affected your Monzo account and your money is safe. This breach only affected the data you entered into the Typeform survey ā€“ it didnā€™t include any payment details or password information.

2 Likes