Monzo and Ticketmaster breach

Interesting analysis of the Ticketmaster data breach and Monzo’s response. Perhaps more revealing is Ticketmaster’s denial of the issue until it became untenable to do otherwise. Glad that Monzo was proactive in protecting their customers, and it’s great to see this kind of transparency in the incident report – anti-fragile systems require transparency when things go wrong.

I’m sure they are using it as a marketing attempt, too - and rightly so!

(Viktor) #2

Agreed!

Definitely, they are getting some good PR out of this (BBC amongst others). It’s well-deserved in my view, too: they did something outstanding, and now it’s time to tell the world about it. Monzo ‘gets’ this paradigm.

Yeah, they did well (helped that they weren’t fault), nicely “users first”. By contrast Ticketmaster and InBenta are PR-first, and look like they’re just pointing the finger at each other. Which doesn’t look as good.

(Viktor) #4

I like this expression. A lot of companies tend to be PR-first.

Actually I’m not sure that PR-first is it. I guess it is more that when organisations aren’t users-first, these days it’s an increasingly bad look. As a clever man put it: “Digital: Applying the culture, practices, processes & technologies of the Internet-era to respond to people’s raised expectations” https://twitter.com/tomskitomski/status/729974444794494976 . And I think that orgs like Monzo, Freetrade are successfully responding to people’s raised expectations. :+1:

Another one from Monzo, they’re efficient at relaying what they know:

We were notified at 4.55pm this afternoon that Typeform, a company we’ve used to collect survey results in the past, has suffered a data breach.

This data breach has not affected your Monzo account and your money is safe. This breach only affected the data you entered into the Typeform survey – it didn’t include any payment details or password information.