My Investment ISA Journey

Hi everybody! I’m a long term reader of this community but have only just now signed up.

I’ve been quite enthused by how open and transparent everybody is here and also quite inspired by how some of the people here share their investment journeys on YouTube. This is my attempt:

I’m not new to investing, I have previously held funds with Hargreaves Landsdown in the past but I’m certainly new to holding individual companies. I’m planning on being as transparent as possible and hopefully that provides some confidence or motivation for others.

Any and all feedback is welcome & apologies for the poor quality (I’ll work on this over time)

13 Likes

A good start and looking forward to see how your portfolio develops.

2 Likes

Hello great video!

It seems we had similar thoughts on Legal & General. I thought they were fairly priced. Good business. Great dividend. Would have been happy with a static capital price and just pocketing the dividend.

Turns out I got them at nearly the best time of the year!

3 Likes

I think there is definitely capital appreciation to be made but thats not my primary driver for sure. You picked up some shares at good prices there so it will make some of the hard times that bit easier.

Thanks, appreciate the comment about the video. I’ll make future updates a bit more concise & then start to share my plans for next year

1 Like

I really enjoy seeing the different portfolios :+1:t3:

3 Likes

So this week I went kind of crazy and added an investment trust to my ISA.

Here’s my reasoning behind adding Scottish Mortgage Trust:

Any and all feedback is welcome, thanks

3 Likes

Grainger announced their FY results yesterday so I wanted to cover that as they’re one of the main reasons I started investing. I’m curious to people’s thoughts on Grainger?

3 Likes

Haha! You’re the 3rd person to tell me that so I definitely need to work on, appreciate the comment. Still pretty nervous so I’m hoping some extra scripting will help - thanks for letting me know

1 Like

Might be worth recording the audio separately with a script and making a video to suit it whilst you build confidence.

Later on after gathering a little more confidence you can adjust the script to notes and eventually go live recording and feed.

1 Like

Thanks for the video, Grainger are my research list but haven’t got around to it yet. Since you’ve been digging into them a little, what do you consider are the key potential downsides/ risks related to Grainger?

Thanks @Sleepy. Yeah some fairly big risks, mainly around recession. Rents/mortgages are typically paid in recessions but this is still a risk the knock on effect is the breaching of debt covenants etc although Grainger does have a fairly strong balance sheet and also a modest 30-40% LTV. Property valuations coming down is a secondary risk here but given the strong underlying demand for housing and the lack of supply it should be mitigated quite well.

Operationally, any delays in projects (build to rent) coming online can delay cash flow and therefore future investment in the next projects. I do see this as quite minor as Grainger doesn’t have a lot of projects running concurrently and they’ve not reported any major delays so far - however I would expect some delays with any TfL projects.

Political and legislative risk is also present, the Private Rented Sector has a bad rep and although Grainger has done great work managing this, its a long term risk that they could have new laws & regulation placed on them that negatively impact returns. There is little that can be done to pre-empt this too.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Nice work. :+1:

My investment with legal and general so far. Huge boost since the Conservative party won the election🎉

10 Likes

Looks like we got in at the same time.

5 Likes

Very nice. Time in the market beats timing the market :slight_smile:

4 Likes

after reading this i can’t stop focusing on the “Errms” its your fault! :joy:

Yes it looks like LGEN has done well this election, bigger gains than the Conservative party :slight_smile:

I’ll be uploading a new update this week (probably Thursday). I’ve had two tough work weeks but I’ll be back on track by the end of this week.

Less ‘erms’ this time too :slight_smile:

Thanks for making the video!

One thing I think is worth pointing out is that GRIP was a joint venture between Grainger and APG, and as far as I understand was simply an investment vehicle for (some of?) the PRS assets which Grainger was already operating - so it’s not the same as if they were buying an until-then separate company on the open market. That point perhaps wasn’t clear in your presentation.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment and feedback. I wasn’t aware of that fact about GRIP, so appreciate it. It has an exciting future

1 Like

An almost embarrassingly late update is now live :slight_smile:

I’m talking about hitting the £1k mark, election uplift, a few performance updates as well as some new stocks added

Updates will be more regular (at least once per month now) and I’ll start covering things like company results, reasons for investing in certain stocks as well as going a bit more generic and discussing what I do with my money (eg where does it go & why).

3 Likes