Revolut Trading šŸ¦…

Check out this update from @Freetrade_Team :

Iā€™ll provide some feedback on my first trade experience with Revolut.

Pros of Revolut:

• Data is very quick. There is little, if any, discrepancy between the price I queue the order for and what I actually pay.
  • Uses itā€™s strength in FX to help reduce transaction costs for US Stocks. ( However once Freetrade has the platform up and running I donā€™t think this will be a massive benefit for Revolut). I remember when J&J were priced at $127 I still ended up paying the equivalent of ~$129 on Freetrade.
  • Has a +/-% on portfolio.

Cons of Revolut:

• Layout is very basic ( some could class it as non existent). I understand they are just rolling their service out so Freetrade clearly has a big moat with this. But will it be there once Robinhood arrives?
  • Limited to 3 basic trades (albeit any time the markets are open). Once again I think Freetrade definitely has a nice moat here. As an investor I donā€™t mind sacrificing timing for quantity. ā€œDonā€™t try to time the market etc ā€œ
  • No ISA feature/ No UK stocks/ETFā€™s/ REITs

Overall: If Freetrade has the stocks I need I would definitely use them over Revolut. As the previous posts have mentioned itā€™s convenient having all your investments in one place. I only used Revolut as Freetrade didnā€™t have the stock I wanted to buy - once it does and the platform goes live I donā€™t see the need to use another broker. However, bear in mind Iā€™m already a user of Freetrade and have a certain amount of attachment by having an ISA etc. I think on boarding customers will be crucial in the next few months ( so this referral scheme is definitely warranted)

I think Freetrade are doing a great job so far and for what theyā€™ve accomplished :+1:. Looking forward to some of the features listed on the Roadmap.

Would like to know when REITs will be available in ISAs though :joy:!

15 Likes

Revā€™s also got fractional stocks. Iā€™m using it at the moment to get in on stocks that are not available on Freetrade as well, but will jump ship as soon as the FT trading platform is up and running

3 Likes

They havenā€™t sorted the W-8-BEN form yet have they?

I think I signed one :thinking: Could be wrong though

Iā€™ve just funded my Revolut for the first timeā€¦ to buy fractional shares

Freetrade hurry so I can move my Revolut monies

4 Likes

Hmm, Iā€™m curious. Iā€™ll give it a try, just to see the difference, will do instant trades to compare.

I tried Revolut trading yesterday tbh i think itā€™s trash in comparison to Freetrade. Freetrade has so many more features all they need is fractional shares rolled out asap

4 Likes

Opted not to even trial the account because 1) agree itā€™s very alpha basic 2) fractionals on Freetrade incoming 3) do not want to expose myself to a potential ā€œinactivity feeā€:

13 Likes

Official announcement:

1 Like

I get stuck on Tax ID screen. Great job!

I have it on Revolut Metal and all is good.

I have my ISA here on FT as well as other shares however I see no reason to denigrate Revolut. Both great Fintechs.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Freetrade mentioned a lot. Free publicity.

Maybe, but many others will also like a one stop shop like Amazon for shopping and streaming or Google for email, search, storage & apps

For me itā€™s useless for now (no ETFs) but as I get closer to the FCSC limit here & Revolut adds ETFs Iā€™ll probably end up using both

1 Like

Not sure why the FSCS scheme would be relevantā€¦ unless you plan on having over Ā£85k in cash on FT, which wouldnā€™t make any sense.

Any investments are held separately to the assets of the provider. If Freetrade are fully compliant (which I believe they are) then the FSCS is irrelevant if Freetrade were ever to go bust. Thereā€™s a whole thread on this on the forum if you search.

Side note if you think about it logically, limiting any S&S portfolio with any provider to Ā£50k does not make any sense. For those really fortunate (rich) folk you could even run out of providers!

2 Likes

I just bought my first share on Revolut yesterday. Iā€™m so relieved!

As an investor in Freetrade Iā€™ve always been super worried about Revolutā€™s great execution. I mean their growth didnā€™t happen by accident, theyā€™re just amazing at shipping features customers want, and shipping them fast.

However, I believe their trading product dissapoints for a number of reasons:
1. Product discovery is broken. The trading section is crammed in with a dozen other features in the last tab. Even the name of the trading section sucks in some languages and makes it hard to expect that youā€™re about to click on the trading section. Itā€™s called ā€œOpĆ©rationsā€ in French, when it shouldā€™ve been called ā€œInvestissementsā€.
2. The onboarding process is a downer. I couldnā€™t believe my eyes when I saw how many steps I had to go through. Using a third-party API really sucks because theyā€™re forced to ask users to go through a specific registration flow.
3. The product is too minimal.

• Nothing is explained about stocks
  • The only way to discover stocks is to scroll down a list
  • I canā€™t see my portfolio on a graph
  • I canā€™t invest tax-free

Yeah sure, shipping MVPs is usually a smart move. But how do you expect casual investors to pick stocks they know nothing about?
Thereā€™s a paradox here: their product was meant to appeal to millenials. Weā€™re talking casual investors who know little about stock investing. However the product currently favors users who know that they want to invest in PagerDuty or Slack, and do it fast.

For these reasons, Iā€™m starting to see Revolut Trading in a very different light. Its value proposition is actually quite different from Freetradeā€™s. In other words you could be a Revolut customer AND a Freetrade customer, for as long as Freetrade keeps adding great features and differentiates itself.

This makes me more bullish than ever regarding Freetradeā€™s future. I think the biggest worry in the competitive landscape is Robinhood. But then thereā€™s probably room for more than one player :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Itā€™s a first release with fractional shares & most (all?) of the popular US companies

Do you mean like freetrade saying ā€œiPhonesā€ for Apple or something Iā€™ve not noticed?

You can also search by name. I guess they will copy Freetrade by having ETF/stock filters when they add ETFs. In the mean time Freetrade has gone too far imoā€¦Iā€™d like an option to hide Recently Viewed, Newly Added, Tech Titans and ā€œPopularā€ (if that means how many users purchased 1 share, not volume based).

The same as most of the YouTubers investors on Freetrade do it. ā€œI like Facebook so Iā€™ll buy Facebookā€ or ā€œthis guy on YouTube is really good at selling the idea of Teslaā€™s growth potential so Iā€™ll buy me someā€

3 Likes