Slack šŸ—‚ šŸ’» - WORK

Will Slack shares be available on Freetrade when they come onto the Market?

Iā€™m hoping so, and fingers crossed itā€™s with as little delay as possible. Especially at the guide share price announced yesterdayā€¦

1 Like

I mean.

It might be an idea to always get an allocation in the big tech IPOs fine freetrade folksā€¦

Weā€™ll add Slack to the Stock Universe as soon as we can but we donā€™t have complete control over when that will be. Hereā€™s how the process works: When will the 2019 tech IPOs (Lyft, Uber, Pinterest, Zoom, etc) be on Freetrade?

2 Likes

Yes please! These stocks are essential for the platform to compete with others.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been working hard to add more stocks & Slackā€™s now available on Freetrade (along with Trainline) :woman_technologist: :man_technologist:

Several people are discussing their future here: Slack IPO

Slackā€™s growth has been incredible, I love the product & I think theyā€™re only just getting started with their integrations. Iā€™m pretty excited about this!

12 Likes

Where do you seek them going Alex? Whatā€™s their monetisation route?

Unless Iā€™ve misunderstood, isnā€™t Slackā€™s monetisation route their paid tiers of the Slack app? :slight_smile:

Thereā€™ a free version of Slack with limited message history, etc. but business users pay Slack a monthly subscription per user, more often than not. :smiley:

https://the-meta-slack.slack.com/plans

8 Likes

We just started using at work, like it so far.
Definitely going to buy some shares, wanted to buy TEAM but forgot, not this time.

Although MS is copying Slack features, once someone starts using they are locked in with all the history.

2 Likes

Slack Is Planning for Direct Share Listing Instead of an IPO - Bloomberg

People briefed on the San Francisco-based companyā€™s strategy said it wants to give ordinary investors a chance to bet on its future growth

quote from the FT

:eyes:

9 Likes

Does that mean thereā€™s zero chance of it appearing on Freetrade?

Shouldnā€™t affect being featured on Freetrade on day one. They just skip the book running and roadshow process. They donā€™t raise any money and shares just immediately become tradable at a matched price.

No revenue for underwriters like Goldman, JPM or Morgan. Boo hoo for them! :joy:

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a good story in the FT (paywall, sorry) about the ā€˜threatā€™ that Slackā€™s facing from Microsoftā€™s Teams app.

Iā€™m not that surprised to see that Teams are now more popular than Slack - thereā€™s just that many more large companies that use Microsoft products.

The question for me is whether Slack could still persuade those companies to switch & whether they need to - is there an opportunity for Slack to win over smaller companies & gain greater market share that way?

Iā€™d also be curious to hear some feedback from anyone whoā€™s used both tools. I find it hard to imagine that Microsoft has designed a product with a good enough user experience (UX) to rival Slackā€™s. But then again, this is a product that theyā€™ve built from scratch relatively recently - presumably without too many legacy considerations to slow them down - so perhaps they have? Obviously UX isnā€™t as much of a deciding factor in corporations, as it is for consumer products but itā€™s pretty important for Slack in particular, as a lot of their growth has come from teams adopting the tool & then pushing their company to roll it out more widely..

1 Like

Slackā€™s biggest issue is they have not build a good enough moat around their product.

Facebook Workplace is a bit like Yammer ( also Microsoft ) to me, I donā€™t see much traction, or push from Facebook. Iā€™m surprised itā€™s not been dropped yet.

Microsoft needs to stop tinkering with Skype, as it gets frustrating :man_facepalming: but besides that Microsoftā€™s communication stack is very promising.

1 Like

Iā€™ve previously used both in corporate settings.

Teams has made great strides over the last couple of years, the direct integrations with OneDrive files / Outlook calendars make life significantly easier if you use a Microsoft stack already internally.
The thing that concerns me about Microsoftā€™s comms stack is the complexity. Skype and Skype for Business donā€™t talk to each other properly, let alone talking to Teams. I think Lync still lingers in the background too. They need to consolidate and simplify.

I think if you are using more non-Microsoft tools (Google Docs / Drive, Team City), Slack edges it. It also feels a little more ā€˜funā€™, rather than ā€˜corporateā€™. I heard Stewart Butterfield recently comparing it to a multi-player game (which is where the company spawned from).

2 Likes

Me too. I really canā€™t see a significant share of companies moving to Facebook now, after all of the privacy concerns over the past year.

1 Like

This. Them not doing that has always been the big stumbling block in my experience.

Does it ā€˜play nicelyā€™ with Google Docs & software from other competing companies - maybe Slack has an advantage there, as a neutral platform?

This is definitely one of the big reasons I liked it so much, I was working for a company that only used Microsoft Office products & the difference was huge!

1 Like

For corporates, itā€™s quite simple: Why pay twice when it is included in the Office 365 Enterprise package?

1 Like