Starting my ISA with ETFs

Hi I just set up my Freetrade account and made my first deposit (5k), this is money I had doing nothing in my current account and wanted to try out investing. I’m looking at putting 80% into ETF’s so I can hopefully leave them and use the other 20% on other stocks. I’ve been doing a bit of research and I’m pretty keen on the tech sector so I’m considering these ETF’s:

VWRL 40%
EQQQ 20%
CHRG 10%
CYBP 10%

Something like those percentages, does that look sensible or too many eggs in one basket?


Hi @m00ny :ocean:

Welcome to the community. I’m not the ETF guru in these parts but I do know you’ll find a fair amount of overlap between VWRL & SQQQ. The biggest holdings in VWRL are almost all big tech companies

Did you sign up recently?

1 Like

Hi @NeilB , thanks, yes signed up last night and have been doing a lot of reading today! I did notice the top holdings in those 2 are very similar but I would like a heavier investment in tech then what the VWRL offers if that makes sense.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense and if you’re new to investing and have plumped straight for a suite of ETF then you should be applauded - getting a solid foundation for your portfolio is very smart.

We’ve got a really long thread below where we like to track user signs up. Are you able to share your user number on the thread please? It helps us nerds who like this kind of thing.