Universe update [Updated]

Honestly, we need more of this for the good of the app and Freetrade. The app has come along way but has so far to go and itā€™s compromises like this that remind us.

This is where we need some of that fabled ā€œtransparencyā€, not from marketers but from those engineers building the actual product. Would love to hear from @Ian on this and your plans to address it.

14 Likes

Hey guys. Iā€™m really sorry about this. We didnā€™t think about this properly before taking the stocks down. We were concerned about customer confusion over the Ā£0.00 stocks and short cut our usual processes. We should have been more data driven. Weā€™ll get these stocks put back right away.

Moving forward weā€™ll do two things; Firstly weā€™ll improve how we curate the stocks in the universe, including engaging the community. Secondly weā€™ll look at how we can increase the decimal places we show in app and how that would impact all of our customers.

We appreciate the value you bring to the community and the product in general and hope you will stick with us whilst we work to improve. Thank you!

48 Likes

Please donā€™t stop whatever youā€™re doing in terms of deep dives. Itā€™s very useful and helpful, regardless of whatever happens on Freetrade :slight_smile:

Thank you

10 Likes

Hi Ian,

I have no inside knowledge on your implementation, but could you maybe make it so that it displays all digits of the price with the two last digits in a smaller font size?

Like, if something is quoted as GBX 1732.29 can you display it as Ā£17.32 29 - with 29 in a smaller font size? Similar to what you already do in the activity tab values after the decimal point.

7 Likes

Iā€™d second that - really do add a lot of value to this forum. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you @Ian , I really appreciate this response and the fact you listened to the community :+1:

Iā€™m very glad extra decimal places are being looked at.

@anon810895 you can come back!

2 Likes

So now that is solved, onto the next thorny question: @Ian @Viktor - ETA on fractionals and 250 more stocks? Can we at least get the list of 250 stocks?

5 Likes

This is a really good and thorough response. It feels like we have been listened to so thank you.

7 Likes

Weā€™ve been planning an update on that. Please bear with us.

10 Likes

Iā€™ll check Twitter to see if youā€™re writing a blog, @Viktor. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Hey @Fotis - that sounds like a nice approach!

cc @jani

8 Likes

:raised_hands: this please :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Any details on what this will look like?

I had no idea why companies like Sound Energy were added in the first place. No one was asking for them.

1 Like

Itā€™s always bothered me that stocks are shown in the app to the nearest penny only. I donā€™t hold any of the shares discussed but a 1p fluctuation can still be over a 5% change. The solution has to be to show prices more accurately, not to only add stocks that work with the systems in place.

2 Likes

As an example, all the US stocks that have five votes or more and there are no operational reasons not to add (think e.g. ISA-eligibility), we will add as part of the first 250 batch. There were 102 such stocks when we started the initiative to rev up and add a lot of new US stocks. Please continue voting to help us decide which stocks we should add in the second batch.

Weā€™ll look at UK stocks, ETFs, enabling REITs in ISAs and nationality declaration stocks (guided by community input) again after we kickstarted this.

3 Likes

Ah okay. That sounds like what is already in place. I thought @Ian meant something else like more communication on what can and cannot be added or releasing stocks more frequently. Most of the requested stocks stay unattended, looking at it from the outside it looks like those threads have been abandoned.

To be honest I donā€™t really get why Freetrade is waiting for fractional shares before the 250 US stocks can be added. Looking at it from the outside the 2 things seem detached, itā€™s not like the US Stocks that are in the app have to be removed for fractional shares.

Similarly I donā€™t know why mainstream ETFs like Vanguard Developed World ( VEVE ) cannot be added.

2 Likes

I hear an update is coming. :wink:

5 Likes

This^^. Of all the AIM shares available why this dog was plucked out bamboozled me at the time.
Just checked and even T212 donā€™t offer it.

1 Like