Virgin Galactic - SPCE - Share Chat

Yes, likely. It dropped pretty quickly once the launch was aborted, so let’s see what happens with the launch on Saturday.

I do like them as a long term investment though. They are vertically integrated, have a lot of proprietary tech, little competition and high barriers to entry. Furthermore, they have huge demand for space tourism trips from HNW individuals. It’s still a little bit of an unknown space (sorry about the pun), and I’m interested to see how this will develop.

4 Likes

Tesla (ticker: TSLA) CEO Elon Musk leads both companies. SpaceX is privately held, but Tesla stock is getting a little bump from the positive outcome. Shares were up about 2.6% in premarket trading.

Other space stocks are up too. Aerojet Rocketdyne (AJRD) shares rose about 1.4%. Satellite company Maxar Technologies (MAXR) stock gained 4.5% and stock in the space tourism company Virgin Galactic (SPCE) was up 8.5%.

2 Likes

And there’s me, selling my holding on Friday :frowning:

2 Likes

Q3 results are in
https://www.virgingalactic.com/articles/virgin-galactic-announces-third-quarter-2020-financial-results/

2 Likes

So the test flight got aborted do we see a big sell off Monday.

1 Like

I’d imagine so. Fingers crossed they find another flight window soon otherwise people’s faith will remain through the floor :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Sell off after failed tests?

Already down 15% in premarket

Anyone buying?

The best space journalist around and a great community on the comments too.

tl;dr - no one’s got a good thing to say about Virgin Galactic

2 Likes

Richard Branson’s fortune is getting a boost from Cathie Wood’s plans to go into space.

Branson’s stake in Virgin Galactic Holdings Inc. surged by about $300 million after Wood’s Ark Investment Management said it was starting a space-focused exchange-traded fund.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-14/cathie-wood-s-ark-gives-richard-branson-a-300-million-boost

ARK haven’t actually said that they’re investing in Branson’s latest scheme to part taxpayers from their money (New Mexico’s taxpayers this time instead of the UKs), it’s just surging based on the creation of this ETF.

Interesting

Such is the influence of ARK - Cathie Wood and team these days.

And quite rightly.

Virgin Orbit and Virgin Galactic are two very different things… though both of them are, IMHO, pretty unimpressoive and not destined for huge futures.

I’m in no way saying that I know better than her and her team, but I’ll be quite disheartened to say the least if ARK decided to invest heavily heavily in Virgin Galactic (or Virgin Orbit). There are so many other new space companies that seem far more promising (not just SpaceX & Starlink) though I’m not sure how many are publicly listed yet.

1 Like

Absolutely - there are a bunch of companies in the ‘Space’

Sorry couldn’t help myself :rocket:

5 Likes

I have to say i think the cult-like following Cathie Wood commands is quite dangerous. You need to think for yourself when making investments. The fact that the stock jumps as soon as ark is involved is silly.

3 Likes

They’re not even involved at the moment! They just started a space themed ETF.

There was a cult following for Neil Woodford. They didn’t understand that he changed his investing style which led to catastrophic underperformance.

If you blindly follow Cathie Wood and ARK then you are facing a similar risk. Having said that they ARK team do give great explanations to their strategies which help build confidence in their approach. I urge people to actively manage their active fund manager!

3 Likes

I have a question linked to this stock. I am relatively new to investing and have adopted a long-term buy and hold strategy. whilst i mainly invest in ETF funds i do have a few individual stocks, SPCE being one of them.

When long term investing (or i suppose any type of investing) is there a point at which you take profit regardless of strategy?

Currently my investment for this stock is 122% in profit and I haven’t really held it that long, my fear is that if i hold it for 5-10 years the current hype could be over and the stock price fall to a more logical level and i would miss out on the hype. Bear in mind this company is yet to turn a profit. Are logical prices out of the window thanks to cult followings of elon and cathie.

A million dollar questions perhaps, but what are your thoughts?

2 Likes