Where would you invest £1000?

As long as Tim Cook or someone a competent is running it. Apple :muscle: the next gen Macbook pros look amazing. Watches are amazing. Customers first. Apple, microsoft and amazon are jumping into healthcare. All Cloud are doing heathcare. When wall street starts seeing this in earnings, they may start adjusting their wacky Excel models.

So you go say conservative… 10% (not UK markets because FTSE is terrible) which is £100 pretax. 20% (ARK fund estimated 2021, I hear somewhere) is £200. That’s 1/5 of a new iPhone pro.

Why not invest more? My experience during covid - spend less on junk like Starbucks, and invest more in stonks (research outside reddit of course). Im now doing a few hundred a month but it varies, the post pandemic rally helped. I think £1000 is good but even if you 2x it’s still an extra £1000 pretax which is just an iPhone. I personally like to go bigger which is hard…

Update:

from what I learned from deepf____value - roaring kitty - he’s a CFA analyst who started small’ish but early in 2019-2020. his returns compounded and he went in with $$$10,000s. everyone else jumped late.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Not advice, but since you asked me where I’d invest £1000, I would buy one and bit shares of Tesla.

Or off this platform, I’d hoover up a few more of Invictus Capital’s C10 and IHF tokens.

Lots of good suggestions steering towards ETFs in this thread :+1:t3:

jokes: I want to build a bot that buys whatever Elon tweets (Etsy, Clubhouse, Dogecoin). i’d be retired by now. but Elon is off twitter rn :laughing: Im sure it’s some “quant” strategy in the City somewhere where they trade fast.

Update:

I think the best from TSLA is yet to come. Batteries, more trucks, germany, cheaper teslas in China. Their tech is :gem:

Im not from the future so this is incorrect. What i meant was the silly rebound from May 2020… STONKS!

One and abit share seems a little measly though, no? I mean how far will my money go with such a minute amount of shares? The TSLA price seems quite saturated now too compared to what it was? Only so high you can climb before falling is what I’m afraid of. This one is a little too risky for me.

not an advice but this is what I thought at TESLA $400 and $$900 pre split… a year ago…

as Papa Elon (sorry, saying just “Elon” is boring) mentioned in this Youtube interview posted yesterday – hedgies shorted TSLA in 2013 and 2017-2019, so we’re still probably scared of high volatility. i think S&P500 inclusion stopped any doubts and daily volatility should be a-ok now. not an advice

Update:

there’s momentum stuff and there’s fundamentals. it’s insane and there’s machines trading most stuff.

watch this CNBC interview with Chamath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpecK1mvNo He talks about the dynamics. he’s a capitalist on the side of WSB

If you buy VWRL your top 5 holdings will be:
Apple
Microsoft
Amazon
Facebook
Tesla

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-ftse-all-world-ucits-etf-usd-distributing/portfolio-data

3 Likes

Ornamental Gourd Futures look promising to me.

Though somewhat riskier than Vanguard’s FTSE Global All Cap.

2 Likes

Itm power

Freetrade’s next fundraising round :freetrade:

4 Likes

Well, I’ve found Twitter to be a fantastic source of information. There’s some brilliant investors on there who study the markets and tickers and are willing to share their own Due Diligence with the general public. It is of course up to you where you park your money, but following some of these professionals has really helped me.
Beware of the sharks though because there’s more than a few of them.
If you DM me on Twitter (@Sneydo77) I’ll point you in the direction of some of my favourites.
Good luck.

1 Like

Yeh I like Twitter for news and ideas, but a lot seem more interested in followers than making me money.

I can understand that completely, but there is some absolute gems in amongst all the bullshit.
Proper deep dive DD.

1 Like

I would have never looked at Skillz or Gogo otherwise and I’ve made big % on both.

Yeah no point having it sat in the bank these days!

If your timeframe is 4 years then I’d say somewhere in between the two examples I outlined would be a good compromise. 50/50 for example.

ETFs I usually go for cover:
Nasdaq 100
Emerging Markets
UK Small Cap
Renewables
Physical Gold (ETC)

There are some great ETFs on Freetrade that are more specific too (like Wisdom Tree: Cloud Computing).

For individual stock picking, a good way to start is to pick sectors that you think will grow over the next 5-10 years and pick a company for each.

For me that would be:
Junior Mining - POW
Hydrogen - Ceres
Automation - Appian
Biotech - CRSP
Cannabis - Aphria
Cloud - Okta

My risk appetite is probably higher than most so not recommending the above.

Hope that helps :+1:

6 Likes

Okta = more cloud security. I love that stonk

I’d not invest in most £ stonks because all the cool companies list in the US. Maybe Ocado (robotics).

Cloud / Cloud security

Whatever floats your boat, I prefer not to sub divide too far.

Invest in profitable established companies and don’t look at your account for 5 years. I would recommend micrsoft, Google, apple, visa and coca cola