Would you transfer your portfolio to Freetrade?

Transfers won’t be launching in the near future but it would useful to know..

If you would like to transfer your portfolio from another provider, who would you transfer from?

• AJ Bell
  • Barclays
  • Fidelity
  • Halifax Share Dealing
  • Hargreaves Lansdown
  • IG
  • Interactive Investor
  • The Share Centre
  • Shareview
  • Vanguard
  • Other

0 voters

What type of account would you be transferring from?

• GIA
  • ISA
  • Cash ISA

0 voters

4 Likes

Can you give any indication of time frame?
In particular is it likely to happen in 2019?

4 Likes

iWeb (which I think is identical to Halifax these days)

2 Likes

I would transfer but it would be too expensive, eg HL charge £25 per stock transferred…:open_mouth:

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. How long do you think it would take you to offset that charge with the savings on custody fees, orders etc. that you’ll be paying while you stay with HL?

2 Likes

I only have investment trusts and ETFs in my HL ISA so my fees are capped at £45 a year.

The cheapest way I could do it I think is if I sold all my investments and then transferred the ISA as cash. Each sale would cost £11.95 then a flat £25 to transfer the cash over. Perhaps around £200-£250 in fees then, so will take a while to recoup.

I’m just going to start anew with Freetrade I think!

4 Likes

I think having a tool in the Freetrade app that gave you a cost comparison would be awesome -

Imagine-
Me: hey Freetrade (speaking to my app here - go with it) I want to transfer out from HL
Freetrade app: (has a sexy Aussie accent) sure, for comparison it will take you x days/months/ etc. to recoup the cost of the transfer.

Awesome

7 Likes

In my mind, Freetrade app talks like Alexa (with the British accent) :smile:

4 Likes

Mine sounds like my Aussie Siri on my iPad :+1:

1 Like

If I was to take platform fees out of the equation I would still go for a Freetrade ISA. It’s the customer support, the slick easy to use quick to access app, the improvements on the way. Oh and fractional US stocks. Freetrade is delivering everything I was looking for and I didn’t even have to ask !
When I open my Freetrade ISA this coming April I will be delighted to pay the very small monthly fee just to in a tiny way support everything the Freetrade Team is doing now and long into the future !

8 Likes

In the next year, it’ll be worth keeping a close eye on regulations with respect to exit fees as they may not last much longer:

15 Likes

More incentives to switch to Freetrade!

4 Likes

Interesting, I’d missed that bit of news!

2 Likes

Similar story here. I have an ISA and LISA with IG and HL. They charge ongoing platform fees, commissions per trade, and HL - transfer fee, and exit fees.

I was thinking of switching them to X-O as they have no platform fee and low commission; but then they have high transfer fees and exit fees.

So now i’m just stuck in limbo on what to do - since Freetrade can’t give a timeframe on when they’ll have Transfers or LISAs available. Even if they gave a tentative launch of April 2020 that would be really helpful to plan…

1 Like

Plus my wealthify ISA soon coming off fee free plus want to start investing in Berkshire b stock plus a few others

Berkshire Hathaway already form part of my MSCI Global ETF.

By my calculation, based on weighting in my ETF, I own 0.1 of a share in Berkshire - so I’m already buying fractional US shares :+1:

1 Like

Agree - if potentially possible, any timeframe would be useful

I have a bit stuck in a LISA account, which Freetrade doesn’t offer yet, so won’t be able to transfer.

2 Likes

@Freetrade_Team1 Sorry, just to clarify. There is yet a timeframe for when transfers will be available for Freetrade? Because if that’s the case I will want to switch my Freetrade account from ISA to a normal account.

It’s just because I don’t want to be paying Platform charges for IG, HL, and Freetrade simultaneously. Cheers.

1 Like

No there isn’t a set timeframe for transfers at the moment. We’ll let everyone know as soon as we have one.